September 27, 20171st2nd1OT Final
STET78:55Coulomb, Julien (Busmann, Finn )
LIP88:40BIRCHFIELD, Ryan (REZA, Eduardo )
STET96:34O'brien, Daniel (Bergstrom, David , Menayese, Elvis)
LIPZAPPIA, Christopher96:3422
STETMelong, Joseph96:3416
Stats at a GlanceLIPSTET
Shots (on Goal)14 (7) 11 (4)
Corner Kicks43
Yellow Cards32
Men's Soccer Falls in Overtime at Stetson
Wednesday, September 27, 2017
By Austin Gwin
Men's Soccer Falls in Overtime at Stetson

DELAND, Fla. – Despite a dramatic last minute goal, the Bisons soccer team (5-4. 1-1) fell in overtime to Stetson (4-4, 2-0) in Deland on Wednesday night 2-1.

"I'm totally frustrated that this was even a game to be honest," said Lipscomb head coach Charles Morrow. "I thought we were too content at times to move the ball without a desire or purpose to penetrate. You can call it killer instinct or urgency, but it was lacking."

While the first 80 minutes of the match featured few chances by either side, the final ten minutes was quite the opposite. 

Stetson got the opener in the 79th minute from a header off a cross that found the left side of the net. That goal kickstarted the Bisons offense who immediately responded by mounting an aggressive attack, pressing for the equalizer.

"It wasn't until we went down that the guys got a fire lit under them," said Morrow. "We are good enough to be the aggressor, we should not have to wait until we are punched in the mouth to play at our best."

That aggression paid off at the death thanks to transfer Ryan Birchfield who lofted in a ball that took a deflection and found the upper 90 of the net. The strike was Birchfield's first goal as a Bison, and it gave Lipscomb a chance to win it in overtime.

"That goal was huge and kept us in the game," said Morrow. "I think everyone envisioned that goal turning the tide in the game. It almost played out like that, but unfortunately it did not."

Momentum carried over for the Bisons in the overtime period, as they registered three shots on goal through the first six minutes of the extra period. However, it was the homestanding Hatters who got the winner off a chipped a ball in the box up and over Lipscomb keeper Chris Zappia to win the match 2-1.

"That goal looked like a mishit to me that sort of floated over and got to the back post," Morrow said.

The loss is the first in ASUN play for the Bisons who fall to 1-1 in conference play. Stetson moved three points ahead of the Bisons at 2-0 and now hold a tiebreaker with Lipscomb throughout the remainder of the season.

A four-game road trip also ends for the Bisons at 2-2. It is the longest road swing of the season for the Bisons who will play three of their final four ASUN matches at home.


  • The Bisons still have never begun ASUN play 2-0 in 14 years of being a part of the league. 
  • Eduardo Reza recorded an assist on Birchfield's goal, giving him two on the season. He becomes the fourth Bison with multiple assists this year.
  • Three Bisons accrued yellow cards in the match: Brandon Braumuller, Jonathan Ramirez, and Ivan Sakou. All were their first this season.
  • The loss moves Lipscomb to 0-4 in midweek matches. The Bisons are 5-0 on Friday and Saturday.


The Bisons will finally come back to the Lipscomb Soccer Complex on Saturday night for a date with ASUN foe NJIT at 7 p.m. There will be pizza provided for all students.