|October 28, 2017||1st||2nd||Final|
|JU||14:28||GARDNER, Sam (SPICER, Stephan )|
|LIP||50:17||PAYNTER, Logan (EAGER, Austin )|
|Stats at a Glance||JU||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||5 (5)||23 (6)|
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - A sweet night turned sour in a hurry for the Lipscomb men's soccer team as Senior Night was spoiled by visiting Jacksonville in a 3-1 loss at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
Searching for head coach Charles Morrow's 100th win at Lipscomb and a No. 4 seed in the ASUN Tournament next weekend, the Bisons looked stunned when the offensively-challenged Dolphins scored three times in a span of 15 minutes early in the first half. Leading up to the game, Jacksonville had only scored 11 goals all season, but the Dolphins first three shots all found the back of the net.
“It was three goals in three shots in a short amount of time," said Morrow. "We lapsed defensively. You get bit by it. We have to do a better job in the defensive third. I expect that our next outing will look much different."
When all hope seemed lost, Lipscomb was given a gift when a hard challenge left Jacksonville a man down for the final 55 minutes of play.
From that moment on, the momentum rested solely with the Bisons. Logan Paynter got one back for Lipscomb early in the second half scoring his eighth of the season, but ultimately it wasn't enough as the Bisons dropped to the No. 6 seed in the ASUN Tournament with the loss.
“I thought that it took us a little longer than we would have liked to get at them," said Morrow. "I liked our chances. Felt a little unfortunate to not come out with another goal. Credit our guys for their belief and resiliency. They thought they were going to win until the final buzzer."
For the ten seniors leaving the Lipscomb pitch for the final time, it wasn't the finish deserved. The ten have already won as many games in the last four years as any other four year stretch in program history. A win next weekend in the ASUN Tournament will make them the winningest class in history.
“It’s a really special class," said Morrow. "They have moved and progressed the program every year they have been here. As good of players as they are, they are also really good people. I wish the best for them beyond this, but I hope there is a lot more season left to play."
- The Bisons will have to wait to see who they play and where they play until 11 a.m. on Sunday when NJIT and FGCU will play the final ASUN game of the season. The Bisons are already locked in as the No. 6 seed.
- Paynter's 8th goal puts him 3rd all-time in program history in points with 57 points. It was his 25th career goal which is also third best in program history.
- Austin Eager delivered an assist on Paynter's goal giving the sophomore his first point of the season. Eager has played in only the last four games due to an injury.
- Keeper Chris Zappia became the first keeper under Charles Morrow to play every minute of the season.
- Morrow will go for his 100th Lipscomb win on Friday in the first round of the ASUN Tournament.
The Bisons will take on the No. 3 seed in the ASUN Tournament at the site of the No. 2 seed on Friday. The result of the FGCU/NJIT match on Sunday will determine the draw. If FGCU wins they will clinch a home regional and first-round bye and the Bisons will play NJIT on Friday in Fort Myers, Fla. An NJIT win or draw over FGCU will flip the scenario for Lipscomb meaning a first round date with FGCU in Newark.