NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Lipscomb men’s soccer head coach Charles Morrow announced the squad’s 2018 recruiting class on Wednesday, signing 10 newcomers to join the defending ASUN Champion Bisons.
Lipscomb is coming off a historic season in 2017 where the Bisons made their first NCAA Tournament appearance after defeating Jacksonville, 2-1, to win the program’s first-ever ASUN Tournament title.
“Coming off our best season finish in program history, we knew this was going to be a class we were going to have to replace a lot of production,” Morrow said. “Our mindset going into the process though, was we didn’t want this to be a rebuilding class or a rebuilding year, we wanted to take the success we had and add to it.
“From day one with Garrett (McLaughlin) coming in, one of his primary duties was to be our recruiting coordinator. We needed players to come in that are going to be just as good or better than what we were losing, which was going to be a tall task.”
Morrow and his staff traveled across the globe to reel in players from five different states and four countries to bolster the roster after graduating 10 seniors.
“The important thing is leadership,” Morrow said. “While we lost some good leaders, we feel really positive about the strong spring we had with guys stepping up. I am looking forward to seeing what these news guys can bring in to this leadership core.”
Read about the signees below and follow @LipscombMSOC on Twitter to welcome each player to Bison Nation.
Zarek Jakubowski | 5-10 | 165 | FWD/Winger| Phoenix, Ariz. | Arcadia HS | Barca Academy
- Ranked the 66th best player in the state of Arizona by MaxPreps.
- Made 15 starts with Barca Academy U18/19 this past season where he scored three goals.
- Won Arizona State Cup Championship at U12, U14 and U15.
- Helped German youth squad, TSV Allershausen, win their first-ever U15 Bayerischer Fussball Verband Championship.
- His father, Jozef, played professional soccer in Poland.
- Has one brother (Gerik) and one sister (Sabina).
- Plans to major in Pre-Med.
- Was also recruited by Michigan State, Pacific, St. Mary’s College of California and UNC Wilmington.
- Favorite TV show is Breaking Bad and his favorite movie is Superbad.
- Favorite pro athlete is Robert Lewandowski of Bayern Munich.
Ryan Dougherty | 5-9 | 140 | CM | Cranberry Township, Pa. | Seneca Valley Senior HS | Internationals
- Plays for the Cleveland Internationals of the US Soccer Development Academy 2016-18.
- Played with Cleveland Internationals from 2016-18, where he started all but one game during the U19 season.
- US Soccer Training Center invitee in 2013 and 2014.
- Trained with Brentford FC Academy U14 in London, England in 2014.
- Competed in US Club Soccer with the Pittsburgh Riverhounds Academy (U12-U15).
- Has one brother – Shaun.
- Plans to pursue a degree in Business Marketing.
- Also recruited by Dayton, Wright State, Ashland and John Carroll University.
- Favorite movie is Coach Carter.
- Favorite professional teams include Manchester City, Pittsburgh Steelers and Cleveland Cavaliers.
Alex Franklin | 6-6 | 215 | GK | Temecula, Calif. | Cal State San Marcos | Surf Soccer Club
- Transferring to Lipscomb after spending the last two seasons at Cal State University San Marcos.
- Made nine starts as a sophomore at CSUSM where he allowed a team-low 2.04 goals per outing to go along with 39 saves.
- Honored in 2016 and 2017 with a CSUSM All-Academic award.
- Chosen as a team captain at Great Oak High School.
- Led the Wolfpack to a Southwestern League Championship in 2014.
- Selected as a Southwestern League Honorable Mention in 2015.
- Along with three years of varsity soccer, Franklin also played Varsity Men’s Volleyball for one season at Great Oak.
- Helped the volleyball squad to a 25-3 record in the program’s inaugural season.
- Played club for Surf out of Murrieta, CA.
- Was also recruited by Vanguard University, Biola University, Hope International and California Baptist.
- Plans to major in Business Marketing.
- Son of Joe and Shari Franklin
- Has one brother (Cameron) and one sister (Lacey).
- Works for a hot air balloon company in Temecula, California every summer.
- Favorite pro athlete is David de Gea of Manchester United.
- His hidden talent is that he’s a DJ.
Noah Gulden | 6-1 |185 | RB/HM | Hattingen, Germany | Gymnasium Waldstrasße | Wuppertaler SV
- Became the youngest player to ever see time with the first team of Wuppertaler SV in the Regionalliga.
- Competed with VFL Bochum 1848 from 2008 (U10) through 2016 (U19).
- Scored two goals in seven matches in U19 Bundesliga.
- Named to the All-Region team four times.
- Played 23 games and a team-high 1744 minutes in U17 Bundesliga.
- Took part in the Norwegian National Team soccer camp in 2015.
- Has two brothers – Scott and Henrik.
- Plans to major in Business Administration.
- Favorite musical group is Pop.
- Favorite professional athlete is Lionel Messi.
Scott Gulden | 6-2 | 188| CB | Hattingen, Germany | Gymnasium Waldstrasße | Wuppertaler SV
- Spent time training and playing with the first team of Wuppertaler SV in the Regionalliga and also attended training camp with them in Spain.
- Played his first U19 Bundesliga game for Vfl Bochum as a U17 player.
- Scored five goals in the U17 Bundesliga, including a pair of game-winners.
- Member of the All-Region team three times.
- Voted MVP of an international school tournament in England.
- Has two brothers – Noah and Henrik.
- Plans to major in Business Administration.
- Favorite movie is The Hobbit.
- Favorite professional teams are Borussia Dortmund and the Carolina Panthers.
Roy Henderson | 6-2 | 170 | CMF | Waldorf, Md. | Saint Charles HS | Cerritos Academy
- Started 30 Developmental Academy games between the Richmond Kickers and Richmond United.
- Spent time in club ball between three teams – Fredericksburg Soccer Association (2010-12), Waldorf Soccer Association (2015-16) and Cerritos Academy (2016-18) in Silver Springs, Maryland.
- Lettered four times in varsity soccer at SCHS where he was a 2-time All-District selection as well as an All-Region honoree.
- Scored the most goals in SCHS history.
- Voted team MVP twice and team captain three times. Also captained twice in club at Waldorf and Cerritos.
- Has one brother (Roy) and one sister (Kimberly).
- Plans to major in Biology.
- Was also recruited by UNC-Asheville, Navy, Virginia Wesleyan and Keystone College.
- His stepbrother (Devante Young) is currently playing football as a wide receiver for the Iowa Hawkeyes.
- Favorite professional team is AC Milan.
Shingai Nindi | 5-11 | 160 | FWD | Harare, Zimbabwe | Concordia International School Shanghai | Century Park FC
- Helped Century Park FC to Shanghai Premier League u19 championships in 2016 and 2017.
- Led Concordia International School Shanghai to a Shanghai Cup title in 2017.
- Named MVP at CISS in 2017 in both varsity soccer and cross country.
- Has one brother (Marshall) and one sister (Langa).
- Langa will also be attending Lipscomb University in 2018 to compete with the Track & Field team.
- Was also recruited by the University of San Francisco, Manhattan College, St. Mary’s College of California and Knox College.
- Plans to major in Computer Science.
- Favorite television show is The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
- Favorite pro team is Real Madrid.
Thomas Priest | 5-10 | 165 | CM | Signal Mountain, Tenn. | McCallie School | Chattanooga FC
- Started varsity all four years at McCallie where he helped lead the Blue Tornado to a 43-5-8 record.
- In 19 matches as a junior, he scored 10 total points with eight assists and one goal and led McCallie to a Division 2-AA State Championship as a junior.
- Earned First Team All-State honors in 2017 and All-Region recognition in 2016 and 2017.
- Won a U18 state championship in club with Chattanooga FC 99 Boys Premier.
- Top Drawer Soccer ranked his a Top 5 Club player in the 2018 class rankings.
- Best XI by Top Drawer in the Regional Showcase in 2016 and 2017.
- Was invited to take part in the Tennessee Olympic Development Program.
- Member of the National Honors Society.
- His younger sister, Meg, is currently being recruited by Division I programs.
- Also recruited by High Point, Lee University, Alabama-Huntsville and Wheaton College.
- His grandfather played football at the University of Tennessee.
- Volunteered at Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga.
- Favorite TV show is Seinfeld.
- Favorite musician is Garth Brooks.
- Favorite athlete is Peyton Manning.
Louis Robinson | 5-11 | 175 | Winger | Nottingham, United Kingdom | Notts County FC
- Helped Notts County FC win the U16 Youth Alliance Cup and participated in U18 FA Youth Cup.
- Has two sisters – Emma and Sophie.
- Plans to major in Marketing.
- Favorite TV show is Peaky Blinders.
- Favorite professional athlete is David Beckham.
Daniel Zapata | 5-8 | 140 | Winger/Attacking Mid | Laredo, Texas | Lonestar SC
- Played for Lonestar Development Academy for the past two seasons.
- Before that, played for FC Dallas Development Academy
- Helped Texas Pre-Academy to a regular season U15 league championship.
- Has one brother (Guillermo).
- National Honor Society and earned Lone Star Academic Excellence recognition in high school.
- Plans to major in Business Administration.
- Favorite TV show is La Casa De Papel.
- His hidden talents include singing and video games.
“Overall I am very excited about this group coming in,” Morrow said. “The talent we signed gives us a chance to compete, potentially, on a higher level right away. A lot of it depends on the preparation and how they come in. We’ve addressed some of our needs and deficiencies in past years without neglecting some of the strong points for us. I am really, really excited about the depth in talent here and that is a credit to Garrett and the work he’s done over the past year.
“He’s really identified guys who aren’t only going to be good fits for us, but good fits for the university as people. They have all bought in to our team culture and the things that are important to us as a group.”