|August 27, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||33:38||ZAPATA, Daniel (LEIJA, Javier )|
|SC||41:10||SUKOW, Justin (MAYR, Luca )|
|SC||75:27||MONHEIMER, Tucker (ERICSON, Peyton , MAYR, Luca)|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||SC|
|Shots (on Goal)||7 (3)||17 (10)|
COLUMBIA, S.C. –The first road test of the season for the Lipscomb men’s soccer team will be a challenging one as the Bisons travel to Columbia, South Carolina for a date with the University of South Carolina. Kickoff at Eugene E. Stone III Stadium is slated for 6 p.m. CT.
It will be just the second time these programs have ever met on the pitch. The only other decision came on Sept. 16, 2007 when the Bisons fell 2-0 to the Gamecocks in Columbia.
The Bisons are coming off a convincing 2-0 victory over Belmont Friday night in their season opener in front of a lively crowd at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
Redshirt sophomore Javier Leija got Lipscomb on the board late in the first half when he buried a shot from the top of the box into the upper right corner. It was the second goal of his career.
At the 58:03 mark of the second half, senior Ryan Birchfield got in on the scoring action with a 25-yard bender to the upper 90 off of a free kick.
SCOUTING SOUTH CAROLINA
After the Gamecocks went 1-0-1 in two exhibition matches to start the year, they dropped a tough 1-0 decision to No. 13 Georgetown in their home opener on Aug. 24. Carolina outshot the Hoyas 14-13, but it managed only two shots on target. Keeper Ian McGrane tallied a career-high seven saves in his first career start.
Head coach Mark Berson is in his 41st season leading the Gamecocks, He's been the only coach for the program since its first season in 1978. Berson is the active wins leader in NCAA Division I Men's Soccer with 500 career victories. He is one of just four coaches all-time to hit the 500-win plateau.
South Carolina returns 14 letterwinners and eight starters from 2017 and they are looking to get their program back to the NCAA Tournament after consecutive appearances in 2015 and 2016.
Preseason All-Conference USA selection Luca Mayr, a junior striker from Austria, led the team in points (18), goals (6) and assists (6) last season on the way to earning First Team All-Conference honors.
South Carolina competes in the Conference USA.
- Lipscomb is 1-0 to begin the season for the third straight year and for the fifth time in the last six campaigns.
- Senior keeper Chris Zappia earned the fifth clean sheet of his career against the Bruins. He posted three shutouts in 2017 after recording a league-leading 11 victories between the pipes.
- The Bisons outshot Belmont 22-5 in the season opener, and also controlled the corner kicks 13-3.
- Senior and Preseason ASUN Player of the Year Logan Paynter earned his first point of the year with an assist on Leija’s goal. Paynter led the team with five shot attempts.
- Sophomore Ihaia Delaney also notched an assist on the first goal.
- Defenders Austin Eager and Daniel Muhlbauer were joined by freshman Scott Gulden as the only players to see all 90 minutes Friday.
- Five new faces earned playing time against Belmont. Daniel Zapata (48 minutes), Scott Gulden (90 minutes) and Louis Robinson (39 minutes) all drew starts.
- The Purple and Gold lead the ASUN in shots (22), corners (13), goals (2) and assists (2) after one game.
The Bisons get a few days of rest before hitting the road again, this time for Atlanta where they will face off with Georgia State next Saturday at 6 p.m.