NASHVILLE - Lipscomb men’s soccer gets back to action Thursday for a nonconference tilt against San Diego at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Bisons looked like they were going to get their first road win Saturday night at Georgia State with a late 1-0 lead, but the Panthers scored an equalizer in the 87th minute and then again in overtime in the 92nd minute for the game winner.
- Preseason ASUN Player of the Year Logan Paynter netted the only goal for Lipscomb in the 25th He took a feed from freshman Daniel Zapata and put it past the keeper for his first goal of the season.
- The Lipscomb and San Diego series dates back to 2015 and is even at 1-1.
- In the first meeting the schools played on Senior Day in the Music City and the Toreros got the better of the Bisons with two goals in the second half to win 3-1.
- In 2017 however, Lipscomb downed USD 3-2 after Ivan Sakou scored an equalizer in the 84th minute and again in the 103rd minute for the golden goal.
SCOUTING SAN DIEGO
- The Toreros bring to Nashville a 1-2-1 record after earning a 2-1 win over Cal Baptist on Labor Day. Their two losses came at No. 8 UCLA (2-0) and No. 2 Duke (4-1).
- They have just scored three times this season and are averaging 0.75 per outing, while giving up 1.75.
- Miguel Berry leads the team with three points (1g, 1a), while Freddy Polzer and Aidan Marmion have two after scoring one goal each.
- Berry paces USD with 21 shot attempts (8 on target). No other Torero has more than four.
- Matt Wiher and Connor Hountalas has split time in net. They each have six saves and have faced 20 shots. Wiher has allowed just one goal in 223:12 minutes.
- Lipscomb is 1-2 on the year after shutting out Belmont 2-0 and falling at South Carolina and Georgia State, 2-1, in both contests.
- Zapata, Paynter and Javier Leija lead the Bisons with three points each. They all have one goal and one assist.
- Ryan Birchfield has scored the only other goal for Lipscomb.
- Lipscomb has been outshot 41-39 on the year.
- Keeper Chris Zappia has seen all 271:45 minutes this season in net. He has 17 saves and a 1.32 goals allowed average.
- Zappia earned the ASUN’s first Defensive Player of the Week honor in 2018 after his 5th-career shutout against the Bruins where he also collected a pair of saves.
- Lipscomb landed Paynter and Austin Eager on the ASUN Preseason All-Conference team.
- The Purple and Gold were picked to win the league in the preseason coaches poll. They received 42 points, including four 1st-place votes. FGCU was second with 41 and one.
Lipscomb continues a three-game home stand, but it gets some time off. The Bisons will host old ASUN rival ETSU next weekend, Sept. 15 at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex. That match is slated for 7 p.m.