|September 15, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||20:38||DELANEY, Ihaia (LEIJA, Javier )|
|ETSU||56:46||Danny Barlow (Serge Gomis , John Lucchesi)|
|ETSU||77:27||Bruno Andrade (Cameron Woodfin )|
|Stats at a Glance||ETSU||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||14 (9)||11 (6)|
NASHVILLE – After getting nine days of rest between matches, Lipscomb men’s soccer gets back on the pitch Saturday evening when it hosts ETSU at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Bisons dropped a 1-0 heartbreaker against San Diego on Sept. 6 when a defensive breakdown allowed the Toreros to net the game-winner in the 66th minute off of a counter.
- Lipscomb managed to fire off 11 shot attempts, most of them good looks. Perhaps the best opportunity came in the first half when Ben Locke appeared to find the back of the net off a corner, but a SDU defender cleared it off the line at the last second.
- With ETSU being a former ASUN Conference member, there is plenty of history between these long-time in-state foes.
- The Bucs hold a 7-2-1 overall mark against the Bisons in the series history.
- The teams met last season for the first time outside of conference action, as ETSU grabbed a 3-2 victory in overtime in Johnson City.
- The Bucs come into the season after winning back-to-back SoCon regular season titles in 2016 and 2017. However, they are under the direction of a new head coach (David Casper).
- The Bucs are 2-4 this season after playing a schedule that has been ranked as high as No. 3 in the RPI ratings.
- Sophomore forward Danny Barlow leads the Bucs with three goals. He was also the team’s leading goal scorer in 2017 with five goals.
- Redshirt freshman Josh Perryman replaces all-american keeper Jonny Sutherland in net. He has started all six games and has recorded 14 saves. He posted his first career clean sheet last Tuesday against Liberty.
- ETSU is averaging 13.5 shots per game and is scoring once per contest.
- Its opponents hold a 40-19 advantage in corner kicks.
- Lipscomb looks to snap a three-game slide Saturday. The Bisons have dropped all three contests by a single goal: South Carolina (2-1), Georgia State (2-1/OT) and San Diego (1-0).
- The Bisons are in the midst of a stretch that has them playing at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex five times in six matches.
- Keeper Chris Zappia is second in the ASUN with 19 total saves, and his 1.24 GAA is third best.
- Daniel Zapata, Paynter and Javier Leija lead the Bisons with three points each. They all have one goal and one assist.
- Ryan Birchfield has scored the only other goal for Lipscomb.
- Lipscomb has outshot its opponents 50-48 on the season.
- Zappia earned the ASUN’s first Defensive Player of the Week honor in 2018 after his 5th-career shutout against Belmont in the season opener where he also collected a pair of saves.
- Lipscomb landed Paynter and Austin Eager on the ASUN Preseason All-Conference team.
- The Purple and Gold were picked to win the league in the preseason coaches poll. They received 42 points, including four 1st-place votes. FGCU was second with 41 and one.
Lipscomb wraps up a three-game home stand Tuesday evening when it hosts the University of Kentucky at 7 p.m. The Bisons visited Lexington last season and came away with a 3-2 victory against Big Blue Nation on the SEC Network.