|September 18, 2018||1st||2nd||1OT||Final|
|LIP||74:48||PAYNTER, Logan (BIRCHFIELD, Ryan )|
|Stats at a Glance||UK||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||12 (9)||7 (2)|
NASHVILLE – Lipscomb men’s soccer will be put to the test Tuesday against one of the best teams in the nation as No. 6 Kentucky visits campus for a 7 p.m. first touch.
The match not only provides the Bisons a great opportunity to gain momentum and confidence heading into ASUN Conference play this weekend, it also presents the fans a chance to see the Bisons take on the highest ranked opponent that has ever come to the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Bisons lost their fourth match in a row Saturday night with a 3-1 result against ETSU.
- Ihaia Delaney put Lipscomb on top in the 21st minute with his first goal of the season.
- The Bucs came roaring back with three unanswered scores after putting 9-of-14 shots on target.
- Javier Leija picked up assist number two on the year with the feed on Delaney’s goal.
- Lipscomb and Kentucky have met on the pitch in each of the previous two seasons for the only two meetings in series history.
- The Bisons lead the series 1-0-1.
- Last October, the Purple and Gold got goals from Logan Paynter and Ivan Sakou before Ryan Birchfield threw a Monkey Wrench at the Wildcats for the game-winner in the 60th minute to win 3-2 in Lexington.
- In 2016, keeper Chris Zappia came away with six saves in just his second-career start as the Bisons battled the 20th-ranked ‘Cats to a 1-1 draw.
SCOUTING THE WILDCATS
- Kentucky brings with them a No. 6 national ranking to town after starting the year 4-0-1.
- The Wildcats have yet to concede a goal against some tough competition. After earning a pair of 1-0 victories against DePaul and Columbia, UK took down Louisville (3-0) and UAB (2-0).
- The Wildcats played Xavier to a 0-0 draw on the road last Tuesday in Cincinnati.
- Junior JJ Williams paces the team with four goals, eight points and 21 shots. He has put 11 of those shots on target, including two game-winners.
- Williams was named National Player of the Week by the United Soccer Coaches, Player of the Week by College Soccer News and C-USA Offensive Player of the Week after netting three goals in wins over Louisville and UAB.
- UK leads the nation in save percentage (1.000), shutout percentage (1.000) and GAA (0.00).
- Keeper Enrique Facusse leads the nation with five shutouts behind 17 saves.
- Tanner Hummel and Marcel Meinzer are tops on the ‘Cats with two assists each.
- Lipscomb looks to snap a 4-game slide Tuesday. The Bisons dropped three of those by a single goal: South Carolina (2-1), Georgia State (2-1/OT) and San Diego (1-0).
- The Bisons are playing their third straight match at home. It is part of a stretch that has them on campus five times in six matches.
- Keeper Chris Zappia leads the ASUN with 25 total saves, while his .758 save percentage is third best and his 1.59 GAA is fourth best.
- Leija leads the Bisons with four points on the year after registering one goal and two assists. Daniel Zapata, Delaney and Paynter are just behind with three.
- Birchfield has scored the only other goal for Lipscomb.
- Lipscomb has attempted 61 shots on the year with 23 of them on target.
- Zappia earned the ASUN’s first Defensive Player of the Week honor in 2018 after his 5th-career shutout against Belmont in the season opener where he also collected a pair of saves.
- Lipscomb landed Paynter and Austin Eager on the ASUN Preseason All-Conference team.
- The Purple and Gold were picked to win the league in the preseason coaches poll. They received 42 points, including four 1st-place votes. FGCU was second with 41 and one.
Lipscomb jumps into conference play on Saturday when it travels to Florida to take on Jacksonville University at 6 p.m. The Bisons and Dolphins last met on that same pitch in the ASUN Championship a season ago when the Purple and Gold downed JU to earn its first conference title and NCAA Tournament berth.