Skip to main content

Men's Soccer > News

September 22, 20181st2nd1OT 2OT Final
LIP25:43ROBINSON, Louis (WYNIA, John )
LIP39:53LEIJA, Javier
JU40:21Igor Ferreira (Alex Dixon , Jose Manzo)
JU48:42Bryson Pink
JU119:44Steven Saunders (Jesus Colombo )
LIPWILSON, Luke120:0037
JUMatt Levy120:0025
Stats at a GlanceLIPJU
Shots (on Goal)16 (7) 16 (10)
Corner Kicks66
Men's Soccer drops ASUN opener in double overtime
Saturday, September 22, 2018
Men's Soccer drops ASUN opener in double overtime

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – After leading by two scores in the first half, Lipscomb men’s soccer surrenders three unanswered goals to drop a heartbreaking 3-2 decision to Jacksonville in double overtime Saturday night in the team’s ASUN opener at Southern Oak Stadium.

The Bisons (1-6, 0-1 ASUN) took a 2-0 lead 40 minutes in on goals from Louis Robinson and Javier Leija and seemed to be in control. The Dolphins (1-7, 1-0 ASUN), however, had other plans.

JU responded on the ensuing kickoff following Leija’s goal to cut the Bisons lead in half heading into the break. The Dolphins rode that momentum early in the second period as they netted an equalizer less than four minutes into action.

Despite Lipscomb seemingly playing as the better side, the Bisons could never catch a break. Austin Strout and John Wynia each had an attempt saved. Ben Locke fired a shot off a corner with five minutes to play, but it was blocked. Logan Paynter then rocketed the rebound over the cross bar and the match went into extra time. It felt as though a goal was coming at any moment.

Locke had perhaps the best look in the first OT when he fired a missile that the keeper appeared to just get a finger on to send it over the bar.

In the second extra period, Robinson looked as though he would send the Bisons home as winners with a shot across the box, headed at the far post. JU’s keeper, however, made a diving stop to keep the net clean.

The Dolphins secured the victory with 15 seconds to play when Steven Saunders headed one past Luke Wilson from six yards out.



26’ –Robinson netted his first career goal to give the Bisons a 1-0 lead. The freshman from England one-timed a cross from senior Austin Strout between the JU keeper and the right post from eight yards out.

40’ –Leija received a pass from Robinson near the top of the box in space. He was able to get three touches before firing a left-footed curler over the defense and off the left post into the net.

41’ – The Dolphins flung a ball in a crowded box from 25 yards out. Igor Ferreira got a head on it and put it past Wilson at the left post.

49’ – JU stole the ball from the Bisons on a throw in and played it into the attacking third. Bryson Pink outhustled Lipscomb’s defense to get the ball in the box where he fired the ball between Wilson’s legs and into the net from 15 yards out.

110’ – With the clock ticking away, JU’s Jesus Colombo put the ball in the box for one final attempt. His pass just so happened to find space where Steven Saunders was waiting to head the game-winner near post.



  • The loss was the sixth in a row for the Bisons.
  • With the goal, Leija now leads the team with six points. He is tied with Paynter and Birchfield for the team lead in goals with two.
  • Strout, Wynia, Locke and Robinson each led the Bisons with three shots each.
  • Wilson came away with seven stops in 109:44 minutes.
  • Six players played the full match for Lipscomb.


The Bisons return home for a pair of matches next week. They host UAB Tuesday at 7 p.m. before welcoming FGCU at 7 p.m. next Saturday.