|September 25, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|UAB||13:46||ROBINSON, DeAndre (WHITE, Blake )|
|UAB||23:13||ROBINSON, DeAndre (MAKINDE, Philip )|
|LIP||89:34||PAYNTER, Logan (DOUGHERTY, Ryan )|
|Stats at a Glance||UAB||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||8 (5)||13 (6)|
NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team fell in nonconference action Tuesday night, as the UAB Blazers came to town took a 3-1 victory over the Bisons.
The loss drops Lipscomb to 1-7 overall, while UAB improved to 2-5-2 with the win.
UAB came blazing out of the gate with a pair of goals in the first 24 minutes of action. It began with the Blazers winning a corner kick in the 14th minute.
With one player standing out top, UAB’s Blake White rolled a ball to the top of the 18-yard box where DeAndre Robinson connected on a shot that weaved through the crowded box and inside the right post to go up 1-0.
Ten minutes later, Robinson struck again for the Blazers. This time, he took a pass from Philip Makinde as he charged the box and fired a ball from a sharp angle into the far side of the net past three Bison defenders to put UAB on top 2-0. It was the seventh shot of the half for the Blazers in 24 minutes of play.
UAB tacked on its final goal at 62:58 when White cashed in on an error from the Bisons. As a cross came through the box, defender Ben Locke tried to clear the ball out, but a mishit allowed White a 15-yard attempt unmarked. The shot, headed toward the left post, deflected off another Bison and bounced into the opposite side of the net.
Despite giving up the early goals, Lipscomb put together an offensive assault that lasted most of the second half. Time and time again it seemed the Bisons were destined to find the net, but time and time again those shots were saved, blocked or sailed just wide.
Senior striker Logan Paynter finally broke through for the Purple and Gold with less than 30 seconds to play when he finished off a perfect header from Ryan Dougherty.
- The defeat was the seventh in a row for the Bisons.
- UAB improved to 4-1-1 all-time against Lipscomb.
- Lipscomb outshot UAB 13-8 and dominated the corner game, 12-2.
- Paynter scored his team-leading third goal of the year. He also leads the team with seven points.
- The senior Strout paced the Bisons with four shots and two on goal. John Wynia and Paynter each had three.
- Dougherty’s assist gave him the first point of his career.
- 15 different players saw the pitch for Lipscomb in the defeat.
- Luke Wilson made his third start in net. The keeper saved a pair of shots.
Lipscomb will get back to conference action Saturday when it hosts FGCU at 7 p.m.