|September 29, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||6:26||LOCKE, Ben (WYNIA, John , MUHLBAUER, Daniel)|
|FGCU||34:51||CLEMENT, Chris (ADAMS, Shak )|
|LIP||76:11||BIRCHFIELD, Ryan (WYNIA, John )|
|LIP||81:48||ZAPATA, Daniel (LOCKE, Ben )|
|Stats at a Glance||FGCU||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||9 (3)||13 (9)|
NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team was finally able to get off the schneid with a 3-2 victory over Florida Gulf Coast Saturday night in an important ASUN Conference matchup at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
The win was the first in over a month for the Purple and Gold, ending a seven-match losing streak. The decision moved them to 2-7 overall and 1-1 in league play. FGCU dropped to 4-3-1 and 1-1.
It’s really exciting for us to get this victory,” sophomore Ben Locke said. “We’ve been working hard for a long time and a lot of things this season have not gone our way, so it was important for us to get a result where we felt we deserved it.
“Most of the losses we’ve had this season, we came away from it feeling like we should have won. It was just a big win for us.”
7’ – Locke opened the scoring just seven minutes into the match with a rocket past the keeper from 20 yards out. The sophomore finished off a John Wynia pass from just inside the penalty arc for his first goal of the season.
35’ – The Eagles leveled the score when Chris Clement found himself on the right end of a Shak Adams cross that went untouched through the six-yard box. Clement sent a ball over the keepers head from near the right post.
63’ – FGCU captured a 2-1 lead after Joao Burti kicked in a rebound off a set piece in the middle of crowded box six yards out.
77’ – Lipscomb equalized when Ryan Birchfield outworked the Eagles to punch in his third goal of the season. Wynia lofted a ball towards the middle of the box for Logan Paynter. As the senior appeared to get pushed in the back while attempting a header, the ball trickled to the feet of two Eagles. Birchfield however, proved he wanted it more as the senior charged in, swiping the ball away and finishing near post from eight yards out.
82’ – Freshman Daniel Zapata netted his first game-winner at 81:48 with a nifty left-footed bender that fooled the keeper from the top line of the 18-yard box. Locke was credited with his first assist of the year with great ball into the box off a throw in from the far sideline.
- The 7-game skid was the longest for the Bisons since dropping 10 in a row between the 2006 and 2007 seasons. (Lost final six of 2006 and the first four of 2007).
- Locke tallied his first points of the season with a goal and an assist in the win. He finished with four points all of 2017.
- Zapata scored the second goal of his career. He is one of four players with multiple goals this season, and his five points are fourth most.
- Wynia leads the Bisons with three assists after earning two on Saturday.
- Daniel Muhlbauer picked up his first point of the season with an assist on Locke’s score.
- Paynter led the Bisons with five shot attempts and three shots on goal.
- Louis Robinson put one of his three shots on target.
- Lipscomb outshot FGCU 13-9 overall and 9-3 in shots on goal.
- Chris Zappia made his first start in net since Sept. 15 when ETSU visited Nashville. He came away with a pair of saves in 90 minutes between the pipes.
After playing five of its last six matches at home, Lipscomb will go on the road for four of the next five. The Bisons get a week off before trekking to Jacksonville to take on North Florida next Saturday, Oct. 6 at 6 p.m.