|October 13, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||39:15||MUHLBAUER, Daniel (BIRCHFIELD, Ryan )|
|LIP||67:21||PAYNTER, Logan (GULDEN, Noah , MUHLBAUER, Daniel)|
|Stats at a Glance||LIBERTY||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||8 (2)||18 (9)|
NASHVILLE – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team scored a pair of second-half goals en route to a 3-1 victory over the Liberty Flames Saturday night in ASUN Conference action at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
In the first-ever meeting between the two programs, Lipscomb got production from all across the lineup to improve to 4-8 overall and 3-1 in league play. Three different players recorded goals while three were also credited with an assist.
After the Flames (5-6-1, 1-3-1) scored 12 minutes into the match, the Bisons responded with three unanswered goals to take the match and clinch their spot in the ASUN Championship next month.
12’ – The Flames grabbed an early lead off a miscue from the Bisons. Liberty flung a ball down field towards the box when Lipscomb’s Scott Gulden tried to head the ball towards keeper Chris Zappia, but didn’t get enough on it. Tresor Mbuyu caught up with the ball and flicked it around Zappia and off the right post for his ASUN leading 10th goal of the season.
29’ – The Flames were whistled for a foul in the box after taking down Logan Paynter six yards out while trying to track down a beautiful feed from Noah Gulden. Senior Ryan Birchfield stepped up and buried the PK for his fourth goal of the year to knot the match at 1-1.
40’ – Lipscomb grabbed a 2-1 advantage when Daniel Mühlbauer connected on a header in a crowded box from eight yards out for the first goal of her collegiate career. Birchfield played a perfect free kick into the box from near 35 yards away when the Germany native skied and put the game-winner off the right post for his first score of the season.
68’ – Lipscomb put the match way when Paynter drilled a bullet inside the left post past the diving Liberty keeper. The senior was set up by Noah Gulden who played a cross through the box from the right side of the field.
- Lipscomb outshot Liberty 18-8, marking the highest shot output of the season for the Bisons. They also matched their season high with nine attempts on target.
- The Bisons matched their season high with three goals (FGCU – Sept. 29)
- Lipscomb and FGCU became the first teams to clinch spots in the ASUN Championship with wins Saturday.
- Birchfield and Paynter each picked up their team-high fourth goals of the season. It was Paynter’s first score since Sept. 25 against UAB.
- Adding an assist in the win, Birchfield now leads the Bisons with 10 points on the year. Paynter is second with nine.
- Muhlbauer picked up his first goal and second assist of the season to give him four points.
- Noah Gulden’s assist was his second of the season.
- Paynter matched his season high with five shot attempts, putting two on target.
- Birchfield earned three points in a match for the second time this season. He achieved the feat versus Kentucky on Sept. 18.
- Zappia earned his third victory between the pipes.
The Bisons will go on the road for their final matches away from home this season. They begin Tuesday with a trip to Louisville at 6 p.m. before trekking to NJIT on Saturday at 3 p.m.