|October 20, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||12:41||PAYNTER, Logan (WYNIA, John )|
|NJIT||59:23||Andrew Nino (Jack Flanagan )|
|LIP||71:13||ZAPATA, Daniel (PAYNTER, Logan )|
|Stats at a Glance||LIP||NJIT|
|Shots (on Goal)||14 (6)||10 (5)|
HILLSIDE, N.J. – The Lipscomb men’s soccer team continued its late-season success Saturday afternoon as the Bisons went on the road to Hillside, New Jersey and knocked off NJIT, 2-1, to earn three big points in ASUN Conference action at Kean Stadium.
The win was the fifth in six matches for the Bisons (6-8, 4-1 ASUN) and it, at least momentarily, put them all alone at the top of the league table.
Senior Logan Paynter wasted little time in giving Lipscomb the advantage with his sixth goal of the season just 12 minutes in. After the teams played the rest of the half without a score, NJIT answered early in the second half with an equalizer.
As the clock ticked under 20 minutes to play, the Bisons put together a nice possession in the box to set up the game-winner from freshman Daniel Zapata.
The loss drops NJIT to 6-9 overall and 1-4 in conference play.
12’ (Lipscomb) – With a 4-on-3 advantage at midfield, freshman Daniel Zapata got a fast break started by playing the ball to John Wynia, who then dribbled down the middle of the field before laying it off to his right to a streaking Paynter.
The senior striker gathered his feet and fired a right-footed rocket from 25-yards out over the top of the keeper and into the left side of the net to put the Bisons up 1-0.
60’ (NJIT) – The Highlanders found an equalizer 15 minutes into the second half when Jack Flanagan flicked a ball across the box to Andrew Nino who headed it into the back of the net from six-yards out for his second score of the season.
72’ (Lipscomb) - The Bisons secured the road victory after putting together a nice combination in the box. Austin Eager showed nice footwork as he dribbled around three NJIT defenders before crossing the ball in front of the net left to right.
Paynter was on the end of the cross and one-timed it back to the middle of the box where Daniel Zapata touched it into the open net as the keeper had a hard time getting back into position.
- Lipscomb takes a 2-1 lead in the all-time series with NJIT.
- The Bisons outshot the Highlanders 14-10 overall and 6-5 on goal.
- After a slow start to the season, Paynter has now scored in three straight matches to give him six on the year. He also has an assist in back-to-back games, giving him three helpers.
- Paynter leads the team with 15 points.
- Zapata’s score was his third of the year. He is fourth on the team with seven points.
- Wynia added to his team-leading assist total, now with four. All helpers have come against league opponents.
- After scoring multiple goals in just one of their first five outings, the Bisons have now done so in seven of their last nine.
- Keeper Chris Zappia earned his fifth victory of the year in net after corralling four saves in 10 shots faced.
- Paynter led the way with five shots and three shots on goal.
The Bisons return to the Lipscomb Soccer Complex next week for their final two matches of the regular season. After a 7 p.m. midweek contest against Memphis on Tuesday, they will welcome Stetson at 7 p.m. on Saturday for senior night.