|October 27, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||23:03||ROBINSON, Louis (ZAPATA, Daniel )|
|LIP||25:39||PAYNTER, Logan (WYNIA, John )|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||7 (4)||13 (6)|
NASHVILLE – After winning its last four league matches, the Lipscomb men’s soccer team has positioned itself to win the ASUN Conference regular-season championship when it hosts Stetson at 7 p.m. Saturday. The regular season finale at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex will also be Senior Night for five Bisons.
With a 4-1-0 ASUN record and 12 points, the Bisons are tied atop the league table with FGCU and have secured a top-2 seed and a first-round bye in next week’s ASUN Championship.
A victory over the Hatters would clinch at least a share of their first conference title since 2014.
- Five Bisons will be playing in their final regular season home match Saturday.
- The five seniors being honored in a brief pregame ceremony are Ryan Birchfield, Trystan Innes, Logan Paynter, Austin Strout and Chris Zappia.
LAST TIME OUT
- The Bisons dropped a 2-0 decision to Memphis on Tuesday.
- After playing a scoreless first half, the Tigers broke the tie with a pair of goals in the final 45 minutes.
- Memphis outshot Lipscomb 12-8 overall and 7-2 on goal.
- Luke Wilson made his fifth start of the season in net and came away with five saves.
- Lipscomb and Stetson have met 17 times dating back to 2003 including once in postseason play (2016).
- The Hatters lead the all-time series 9-5-2, however the Bisons have won three of the last four meetings all via shutout.
- Last season, the Hatters defeated the Bisons 2-1 in overtime on a goal in the 97th
- Ryan Birchfield sent the match to extra time in the 89th minute with the lone tally for Lipscomb.
- After winning the conference in 2017 with an unblemished league record, the Hatters enter the final weekend of the 2018 regular season 6-8-1 overall and 1-3-1 in the ASUN.
- They are currently one point ahead of NJIT for the sixth and final seed in the ASUN Championship. A win against the Bisons would lock up a berth.
- Stetson leads the conference with 214 total shots and 14.3 shots per game, while its 89 shots on goal and 74 corner kicks are second most.
- Erwan Colas has been the top producer for the Hatters with seven goals, three assists, 17 points and three game-winners. His 45 shots are second most in the ASUN.
- 10 players have scored for Stetson, including six with multiple goals.
- 11 Hatters have recorded an assist, led by Sebastian Chalbaud’s four.
- Three keepers have split time between the pipes for Stetson, led by Braeden Luna’s 11 starts.
- Luna (4-6-1) paces the squad with 38 saves, a .623 save percentage and three shutouts. He has allowed 23 scores, an average of 2.02 per outing.
- Lipscomb has won five of its last seven matches after opening the season 1-7.
- For the season, Lipscomb is 3-5 at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
- A Bisons victory, coupled with a FGCU loss or draw against Jacksonville on Saturday, would give Lipscomb an outright regular-season conference championship for the first time in program history. In 2014, they shared the title with FGCU, but still earned the No. 1 seed on a tiebreaker.
- Logan Paynter leads the Bisons with six goals, three assists and 15 points this season.
- Paynter is 10th on the NCAA’s active career leaders chart with 32 goals. He enters the finale two goals shy of tying the program’s all-time mark of 34 – set by Garret Pettis (2008-11).
- He is also six points shy of tying Miguel DaSilva’s (2007-10) points record of 82. His 76 career points are 12th on the active career leaders list in Division I.
- Keeper Chris Zappia is third in the ASUN with a .722 save percentage, fourth in GAA (1.50), and fifth in saves (39) and goals against (15).
- The Bisons lead the ASUN with 91 corner kicks. Stetson is second with 74.
- Lipscomb ranks third in the league in shots (180), shots on goal (82), SOG percentage (.456) and assists (20).
- They rank fourth in goals (23), and shots per game (12.0).
- Against ASUN foes, Lipscomb leads the ASUN in SOG percentage (.542) and assists (11).
- The 6.07 corner kicks per game are the 19th most in Division I.
- Ryan Birchfield is second on the team with four scores and 10 points.
- John Wynia paces the Bisons with four assists on the year.
- 10 players have scored a goal for the Bisons this season, including six with multiple tallies.
- 12 have been credited with an assist. Six of those 12 have multiple helpers.
- Lipscomb landed Paynter and Austin Eager on the ASUN Preseason All-Conference team.
- The Purple and Gold were picked to win the league in the preseason coaches poll. They received 42 points, including four 1st-place votes. FGCU was second with 41 and one.
Lipscomb will host the first two rounds of the ASUN Championship at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex next weekend. With final seeding still up for grabs, we know for sure the Bisons will host a quarterfinal game on Friday, Nov. 2 at 7 p.m. and then a semifinal two days later on Sunday, Nov. 4 at 2 p.m.