|November 10, 2018||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||39:12||PAYNTER, Logan (GULDEN, Noah )|
|LIP||53:52||PAYNTER, Logan (LOCKE, Ben )|
|Stats at a Glance||STET||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||5 (2)||14 (6)|
NASHVILLE - The Lipscomb men’s soccer team are champions of the ASUN Conference – again.
Behind a historic night from senior Logan Paynter, the top-seeded Bisons proved victorious, 2-0, over No. 6 Stetson Saturday night in the ASUN title game at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
Playing his last match on home turf, Paynter made sure Lipscomb (9-9) would return to the NCAA Tournament for the second-straight season by scoring both tallies in the match.
Lipscomb is the first program to win back-to-back ASUN Championship titles since FGCU did so in 2011-12.
The goals were the 34th and 35th of his career, making him the most prolific scorer in program history. The scores also moved him into a tie with Miguel DaSilva for the most career total points in program history with 82.
The match was off to a slow start as both teams looked for opportunities, but would have little luck.
Lipscomb came across a scoring chance with 24:50 left in the first half as John Wynia got behind the defense and ripped a shot from the box that just sailed past the right post.
Finally, in the 40th minute Paynter took a beautiful cross from Noah Gulden and headed it past the keeper to put the Purple and Gold on the board.
Coming out of halftime with momentum on their side the Bisons looked to add another score to their total. It didn’t take long.
In the 54th tick, Paynter snuck one through the keeper’s legs off a feed from Ben Locke. This goal cemented Paynter into the Lipscomb history books.
The rest of the second half saw a lot of physical play as Stetson tried to make a comeback, but the Bisons defense stood strong and held the Hatters scoreless for their second shutout of the season.
Paynter was named MVP of the tournament. He is the only player in ASUN history to win the Player of the Year, Scholar Athlete of the Year and Tournament MVP in the same season.
- Joining Paynter on the all-tournament team was Ryan Birchfield, Ben Locke, and Noah Gulden.
- Lipscomb has now won five of the last six meetings with Stetson.
- The Bisons are the first No. 1 seed in its last four appearances in the championship to win the ASUN title.
- The Bisons outshot the Hatters 14-5 with six of the shots coming on goal compared to the Hatters two.
- The assist was Noah Gulden's third of the season, while Locke now has two.
- Lipscomb keeper Chris Zappia recorded two saves and added to his league-leading win total with his ninth victory on the year. He has won 8-straight matches in net.
- In total, six yellow cards were given during the match, four to Stetson and two to Lipscomb.
- Louis Robinson attempted three shots in 55 minutes. He put two on target.
- 14 players saw the pitch for Lipscomb in their championship win. Seven of them played full minutes.
- Lipscomb is 6-1 in its last seven matches.
- The NCAA Men’s Soccer College Cup selection show is set for Noon Monday.
- Lipscomb will hold a viewing party in the Hall of Fame room of Allen Arena and all fans are encouraged to join in the celebration.
- Doors will open at 11:00 a.m. and it will be free to the public.