Skip to main content

Men's Soccer > News

September 10, 20191st2nd1OT 2OT Final
LIP37:46WOOD, Hayes (LOPEZ, Alejandro , GULDEN, Noah)
EVA82:36Stafford-Lacey, J.
EVAReimer, Frederik110:0014
LIPSIBLEY, Michael110:0016
Stats at a GlanceEVALIP
Shots (on Goal)25 (7) 17 (5)
Corner Kicks75
Red Cards12
Men's soccer battles to 1-1 draw with Evansville
Tuesday, September 10, 2019
By Danny Kotula
Men's soccer battles to 1-1 draw with Evansville

NASHVILLE - The Lipscomb men’s soccer team endured an event-filled 1-1 draw against Evansville on Tuesday night at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.

After a scoreless 30 minutes in which the Bisons dominated possession but couldn’t put the ball in the back of the net, freshman Hayes Wood notched the first goal of his career to put the Bisons ahead 1-0 in the 38th minute.

Alejandro Lopez and Noah Gulden assisted Wood’s goal to give Lipscomb the momentum going into the second half.

The Bisons continued to possess for large stretches of the first 20 minutes of the second half, but the Purple Aces held strong defensively until a 30-minute delay for inclement weather gave both teams a reprieve from the action in the 67th minute. 

The delay lasted for over 30 minutes, but the Lipscomb faithful stuck around to watch their team finish out the match. 

The Bisons supporters who stayed were instantly rewarded for their loyalty, as the game instantly picked up in intensity after the weather delay. Both sides traded promising opportunities in front of goal over the next five minutes but neither team could break through.

Evansville equalized late as Jesse Stafford-Lacey slotted home a rebounded free kick from outside the box in the 83rd minute.  

The two squads battled intensely for the final eight minutes of regulation, but neither side were able to break the deadlock before the clock expired. Freshman Louis Robinson gave the Bisons their best opportunity to retake the lead, but his header struck the crossbar and stayed out.

Junior Malik Shaheed nearly scored the game-winner two minutes into the first extra period, but his shot was just a few inches short from sliding into the net.   

Lipscomb continued to control the attacking play in the first overtime period, but weren’t able to score in the 10-minute frame.

In the second minute of the second overtime, freshman goalkeeper Michael Sibley made two consecutive point-blank stops to keep maintain the 1-1 tie.

Sibley had a big night in the net, making six saves to preserve the draw.

Neither the Aces nor the Bisons could finish the match with a winner, and the match ended in a 1-1 tie after 110 minutes of play.



  • The all-time series between the two programs now stands at 4-4-3.
  • Sibley, seniors Daniel Muhlbauer and Austin Eager, junior Ben Locke, and sophomores Noah and Scott Gulden went the full 110 minutes for Lipscomb. 
  • Evansville outshot the Bisons 25-17, with a 7-5 shots-on-goal advantage.
  • Junior Javier Leija led Lipscomb with four shots, while Shaheed had a team-high two shots on goal.
  • Three yellow cards were handed out, two of which went to Bisons: Muhlbauer and senior John Wynia
  • The Aces earned seven corners to Lipscomb’s five. 
  • Lipscomb was whistled for 18 fouls and the Aces were called for 14. 

NEXT: The Bisons return to action with another home match this Friday at 7 p.m. against USF.