Skip to main content

Men's Soccer > News

October 08, 20191st2ndFinal
Georgia St.011
GSU62:19Fearnley, Matthew (Jordan, Luke )
LIP67:11PEDERSEN, Ruben (ROBINSON, Louis )
LIP83:24SHAHEED, Malik (WOOD, Hayes )
GSUTyson, Paul90:0037
LIPWilson, Luke90:0013
Stats at a GlanceGSULIP
Shots (on Goal)10 (4) 16 (9)
Corner Kicks45
Yellow Cards21
Three second-half goals propel men's soccer to win over Georgia State
Tuesday, October 8, 2019
By Logan Butts
Three second-half goals propel men's soccer to win over Georgia State

NASHVILLE - The Lipscomb men’s soccer team rode three second-half goals to take down previously unbeaten Georgia State 3-1 at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex on Tuesday night. 

After a scoreless first 61 minutes of action, the floodgates opened up in the 62nd minute as the Panthers struck first.

Matthew Fearnely scored on an assist from Luke Jordan as Georgia State earned the game’s first goal. 

The Bisons responded swiftly and authoritatively as Lipscomb scored two goals in the next five minutes to pull ahead.

Lipcomb’s first score came on an own goal in the 66th minute as a Bisons crossed was deflected by a Panthers defender into the back of the net. 

Less than a minute later, Lipscomb took the lead as freshman Ruben Petersen knocked in a goal after a setup from sophomore Louis Robinson.

With seven minutes remaining in the contest, redshirt-junior Malik Shaheed put the game on ice with a laser from outside the left corner of the box, putting Lipscomb ahead 3-1. 

Redshirt-junior Luke Wilson made his first start at goalkeeper on the season, making three saves to hold back the Panthers attack. 

The Bisons improve to 3-5-1 with the win, while Georgia State falls to 6-1-3.



  • Freshmen Killian Byrne and Hayes Wood and redshirt-freshman Thomas Priest each made their first starts of their career, joining Wilson as first-time starters on the season. 
  • Priest was assessed a yellow card in the 18th minute. 
  • Robinson’s assist was his second of the season. He notched his first on Saturday against FGCU. 
  • Wilson and sophomores Noah and Scott Gulden went the full 90 minutes for Lipscomb. 
  • The Bisons out-shot the Panthers 16-10, with a 9-4 shots-on-goal advantage. 
  • Byrne led Lipscomb with three shots, all of which came on goal. 
  • Two GSU players were assessed a yellow card in the second half. 
  • Lipscomb earned five corners to GSU’s four. 

NEXT: Lipscomb will return to the pitch on Saturday night as they travel to Stetson for a 6 p.m. kickoff.