Skip to main content

Men's Soccer > News

October 12, 20191st2ndFinal
STET49:53DeGANCE, Chris (DINIZ, Gabriel , SCATTERGOOD, Lewis)
STET83:22SCATTERGOOD, Lewis (SUAUT, William )
LIPWILSON, Luke45:0011
LIPBROWN, Alex45:0021
Stats at a GlanceLIPSTET
Shots (on Goal)11 (6) 14 (5)
Corner Kicks53
Yellow Cards24
Men's soccer falls at Stetson 3-1
Saturday, October 12, 2019
By Logan Butts
Men's soccer falls at Stetson 3-1

DELAND, FLa. - The Lipscomb men’s soccer team fell to ASUN foe Stetson on Saturday night 3-1 in DeLand, Florida at the Hatters’ Athletic Training Center.

An early Hatters goal put the Bisons behind 1-0 quickly. Ajmeer Spangler scored on a free kick from 25 yards out just under three minutes into the action.

“Ultimately, tonight I thought that we got bullied,” Lipscomb men’s soccer head coach Charles Morrow said. “We’re beat up a little bit with injuries and illness, and we lost composure. 

“We not only lost composure in terms of letting our emotions get the best of us, there were a lot of fouls tonight as it was a physical game, but I think we lost composure in terms of letting their pressure get to us and not having the ideas enough to break that pressure. We became really one-dimensional and predictable in how we were playing.” 

Stetson scored similarly quick again to start the second half. Gabriel Dinz and Lewis Scattergood worked to set up a score for Chris DeGance to put the Hatters up 2-0 in the 50th minute. 

Stetson earned one more goal in the 84th minute as William Suat scored on an assist from Scattergood. 

“I think Stetson did a great job,” Morrow said. “We’re learning lessons the hard way that when you’ve had some of the success that we’ve had, that we’re a game that teams circle early in the season and they get up for.

"I thought our effort was good tonight, I just don’t think we were good enough at the end of the day.”

The Bisons finally got on the board in the 86th minute as sophomore Louis Robinson stepped up to the penalty mark and notched his first goal of the season.

Redshirt-junior Luke Wilson and redshirt-freshman Alex Brown split time in goal. Wilson manned the net in the first half, while Brown took over in the second, each made one save. 

“We’ve got to be able to deal with a team like Stetson much better than we did tonight,”Morrow said.

“We’ll get better from it, regroup, and move on. We’re getting to a point in the season where we cannot repeat learning similar lessons over and over again.” 

Lipscomb falls to 3-6-2, while Stetson improves to 7-5-1.



  • Redshirt-junior Malik Shaheed was assessed a yellow card in the 45th minute, while senior John Wynia was handed one in the 59th minute. 
  • Seniors Austin Eager and Daniel Muhlbauer and sophomores Noah and Scott Gulden went the full 90 minutes for Lipscomb. 
  • The Hatters out-shot the Bisons 14-11, but the Bisons owned a 6-5 shots-on-goal advantage. 
  • Freshman Ruben Pedersen led Lipscomb with four shots and three shots on goal. 
  • Four Hatters were assessed yellow cards, two in each half. 
  • Lipscomb earned five corners to Stetson’s three. 


NEXT: Lipscomb will return to the pitch on Wednesday at home against Butler. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. 

“We’ll be looking for for much better performances this upcoming week, and that’s against two tough teams,” Morrow said. “Nobody’s feeling sorry for us, and we can’t feel sorry for ourselves either.”