|October 19, 2019||1st||2nd||Final|
|LIP||8:55||KALALA, Honore (GULDEN, Noah )|
|NJIT||15:19||Radon, Thomas (White, Rene )|
|LIP||49:49||SHAHEED, Malik (WYNIA, John )|
|NJIT||73:54||White, Rene (Zapata, Juan )|
|LIP||84:45||ROBINSON, Louis (EAGER, Austin )|
|NJIT||86:24||Costa, Joao (Ferreira, Diogo )|
|Stats at a Glance||NJIT||LIP|
|Shots (on Goal)||9 (7)||12 (4)|
NASHVILLE - The Lipscomb men’s soccer team lost a high-scoring, back-and-forth thriller to NJIT on Saturday night 4-3 at the Lipscomb Soccer Complex.
The Bisons led 2-1 with 50 minutes remaining in the game, and then a flurry of goals hit - four scores in a 13-minute period late in the second half.
Lipscomb struck first in the ninth minute of the game. Freshman Honore Kalala scored his first career goal as he headed in sophomore Noah Gulden’s corner kick.
NJIT responded in the 16th minute with Thomas Radon scoring on an assist from Rene White to tie the match 1-1.
The Bisons came out of halftime and regained the lead in the 50th minute as redshirt-junior Malik Shaheed fired in a rocket off an assist from senior John Wynia.
The teams battled physically for the next 20 minutes before the flood of goals. NJIT’s Radon, Arrio Rusnak, and Diogo Ferreira were handed yellow cards as was Lipscomb’s Noah Gulden.
The Highlanders scored back-to-back goals less to 30 seconds apart in the 74th minute to pull ahead 3-2. Ferreira scored the first goal after it bounced around in the box, while White scored the second on a breakaway with an assist from Juan Zapata.
Lipscomb equalized in the 85th as sophomore Louis Robinson placed one in the net after a long-distance set-up from senior Austin Eager.
NJIT respond with the go-ahead goal two minutes later as Joao Costa scored the game-winner on a chaotic play.
With the loss, Lipscomb falls to 3-8-1 with a 1-3 ASUN record. NJIT improves to 6-4-4 with a 3-1 conference record.
- Seniors Austin Eager and Daniel Muhlbauer, redshirt-junior Luke Wilson, sophomore Noah Gulden, and freshmen Honore Kalala and Hayes Wood went the full 90 minutes for the Bisons.
- Shaheed is now tied with freshmen Ruben Pedersen for the team lead with three goals.
- Robinson’s goal was his second on the year. With his team-leading three assists, he now leads the team with seven points.
- Wynia and Gulden each notched their second assists of the season, while Eager’s was his first.
- The Bisons out-shot the Highlanders 12-9, but NJIT owned a 7-4 shots-on-goal advantage.
- Gulden, Robinson, and Eager tied for the team lead with two shots apiece.
- Wilson made a season-high three saves. He now has seven on the season in three appearances.
- Lipscomb earned seven corners to NJIT’s six.
NEXT: Lipscomb will return to the pitch on Tuesday as they travel to UAB for a 7 p.m. kickoff.