NASHVILLE - It was a tale of two penalties on Saturday night for the Lipscomb men’s soccer team as the Bisons came away with a 1-0 victory on Senior Night to clinch their spot in the ASUN Tournament.
The first penalty came in the 24th minute as Lipscomb junior Javier Leija was fouled in the box while attempting a shot.
Senior Ben Locke stepped to the penalty slot and slotted it home for his second goal of the season and the only goal of the match.
The second penalty came in the 69th minute as redshirt-junior Luke Wilson, known for his penalty-saving prowess, thwarted the penalty attempt from UNF’s Taylor Martin to keep the Ospreys off the scoreboard.
Wilson, who made a second save immediately after the penalty, stopped a season-high five shots on the night. He now has 16 saves on the year.
The win clinched Lipscomb’s spot in the ASUN Tournament for the 13th consecutive season. The Bisons will enter the tournament as the two-time defending champions.
Lipscomb improves to 4-8-2 (2-3 in ASUN play), while UNF falls to 5-6-2 (3-2-1).
- Lipscomb celebrated four seniors in their final regular season home game on Saturday night: Austin Eager, Daniel Muhlbauer, Ben Locke, and John Wynia. The seniors have now won 35 games in their four-year career.
- Wilson, Eager, Muhlbauer, Locke, sophomore Noah Gulden, and freshman Honore Kalala went the full 90 minutes for the Bisons.
- The Bisons out-shot the Ospreys 16-12, with a 6-5 shots-on-goal advantage.
- Sophomore Ruben Pedersen led the Bisons with six shots and three shots on goal. He currently leads the team in both categories with 24 and 11, respectively.
- UNF earned six corners to Lipscomb’s four.
- UNF were assessed two yellow cards: one to LJ Estes and one to an assistant coach.
NEXT: Lipscomb will close out the regular season with a trip to Liberty on Nov. 2, one week from today. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.