In doubles, the men put up a tough fight, but dropped the doubles point, losing all three matches.
At No. 1, Daniel Hangstefer and Mario Hernandez played close with Tori and Airaldi, but dropped the match 8-4.
Chad Pierron and James Murrell were defeated at No. 2 by Blanco and Rodriques in another 8-4 loss.
At No. 3, Tanner Brown and Colby Shaw fell to Lincoñir and Roux 8-2.
The Bisons put the lost doubles point behind them and entered into singles play.
Lipscomb started off singles slow, having trouble finding victories.
Hangstefer played a tight match at No. 1, but in the end he was defeated by Rodriques 6-4, 6-4.
At No. 2, Pierron found another loss for Lipscomb, falling to Tori 6-1, 6-3.
Falling behind in the match 3-0, the Bisons were looking for a win to keep USC-Upstate from clinching the match.
Unfortunately, the Bisons win did not come until the match was already decided.
Murrell was defeated at the No. 3 spot by Roux 6-0, 6-1.
With the fourth win, USC-Upstate clinched the match.
At No. 4, Hernandez had trouble finding his groove, falling to Blanco 6-1, 6-1.
Brown could not find a win either, losing at No. 5 to Lincoñir 6-0, 6-1.
Shaw, a freshman, pulled the Bisons only victory of the day, defeating Goudsmet in an eight game pro-set 8-6, putting the Bisons on the board with a 6-1 loss.
"This was a tough match this morning,” coach Andrew Harris said. “USC Upstate has a solid line up from top to bottom and played well throughout the day. We have some good practice days ahead of us, and we need to continue to focus on getting better everyday.”
The Bisons travel to Florida next week for spring break. Their next match will be Friday March 12 against A-Sun conference opponent Jacksonville.
1. J. Tori/ R. Airaldi (USCU) def. Daniel Hangstefer/Mario Hernandez (LU) 8-4
2. R. Blanco/ E. Rodriquez (USCU) def. Chad Pierron/James Murrell (LU) 8-4
3. M. Lincoñir / J. Roux (USCU) def. Tanner Brown/Colby Shaw (LU) 8-2
1. E. Rodriquez (USCU) def. Hangstefer (LU) 6-4, 6-4
2. J. Tori (USCU) def. Pierron (LU) 6-1, 6-3
3. J. Roux (USCU) def. Murrell (LU) 6-1, 6-0
4. R. Blanco (UDCU) def. Hernandez (LU) 6-1, 6-1
5. M. Lincoñir (USCU) def. Brown (LU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Shaw (LU) def. G. Goudsmet (USCU) 8-6
Written by Ashlan Williams, student assisant in the sports media relations department.