The Bisons overall record falls to 3-6.
The men played good doubles matches but were not able to pull out the doubles point.
Daniel Hangstefer and James Murrell lost a close match at No. 1, falling to Jackson Moore and Trenton Spinks 8-6.
Chad Pierron and Tanner Brown dropped the No. 2 match to Georgia State’s Victor Valente and Henri Mangino 8-2.
The Bisons picked up their lone win of the day at No. 3 doubles. Colby Shaw and Mario Hernandez defeated JP Gutierrez and Tomaz 8-3.
As singles began, the Bisons were already at a 1-0 disadvantage.
Pierron was defeated by Moore at No. 1 6-3, 6-2 while Hangstefer fell at No. 2 after a close first set to Valente 7-5, 6-2.
At the No. 3 spot, Murrell lost to Spinks 6-4, 6-1.
Georgia State clinched the match with a 4-0 lead over the Bisons.
Hernandez played a solid match at No. 4 but unfortunately could not pull out the win, losing to Mangino 6-4, 6-4.
Shaw was defeated at No. 5 6-3, 6-3 by Georgia State’s Gutierrez.
Freshman Tanner Brown had a tight three set match at No. 6 but barely fell short in the third set tiebreaker, losing to Lucas Santana 6-3, 0-6, 10-7.
"Tough end to the weekend,” coach Andrew Harris said. “Georgia State has a lot of good players. We are looking forward to getting back home and getting ready for FGCU.”
The Bisons return home to face Florida Gulf Coast in another Atlantic Sun conference match. The match will be played at the Lipscomb Tennis Center on Friday, March 19 at 2 p.m.
1. Moore/Spinks (GSU) def. Hangstefer/Murrell (LU) 8-6
2. Valente/Mangino (GSU) def. Brown/Pierron (LU) 8-2
3. Shaw/Hernandez (LU) def. Gutierrez/Thomaz (GSU) 8-3
1. Jackson Moore (GSU) def. Chad Pierron (LU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Victor Valente (GSU) def. Daniel Hangstefer (LU) 7-5, 6-2
3. Trenton Spinks (GSU) def. James Murrell (LU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Henri Mangino (GSU) def. Mario Hernandez (LU) 6-4, 6-4
5. JP Gutierrez (GSU) def. Colby Shaw (LU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Lucas Santana (GSU) def. Tanner Brown (LU) 6-3, 0-6 10-7
Written by Ashlan Williams, student assistant in athletics media relations.