The Lipscomb men’s tennis team ended its two-day travel schedule with a 4-3 loss to USC Upstate Saturday in an Atlantic Sun match.
While the Bisons were swept in the doubles, David Salazar, Stuart Tierney and Colby Shaw won their matches in the singles.
Coach Andrew Harris said that the doubles play created the team’s troubles for the match.
“Coming out Saturday in doubles, we wanted to quickly reestablish ourselves from the ETSU loss,” Harris said. “We accomplished that by going up a break in all three courts. Unfortunately, we were not able to maintain that level to finish those matches off.”
Harris said that despite strong singles play, the absence of the point in doubles left the match to USC Upstate.
“Coming back in the singles, we had to have everyone at their finest, and we split with them,” Harris said. “But, unfortunately, losing the doubles point came back to bite us.”
LU, 7-10 overall, 3-4 in conference play, will look to return to form after the weekend skid as they host Tennessee Tech at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on Thursday, April 11.
USC Upstate 4, Lipscomb 3
April 6, 2013 at Spartanburg, S.C. (Upstate Tennis Complex)
1. #111 Matthias Kidler (UPSTM) def. Oliver Strecker (LIPM) 6-0, 6-1
2. David Salazar (LIPM) def. Ramon Simonetti (UPSTM) 7-5, 7-5
3. Yvon Haessig (UPSTM) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIPM) 6-1, 7-6
4. Stuart Tierney (LIPM) def. Gonzalo Blanco (UPSTM) 7-6, 7-6
5. Viktor Selander (UPSTM) def. Miguel Cortez (LIPM) 6-1, 6-2
6. Colby Shaw (LIPM) def. Jamie Yates (UPSTM) 6-3, 1-6, 10-4
1. Matthias Kidler/Ramon Simonetti (UPSTM) def. Stuart Tierney/Miguel Cortez (LIPM) 9-8
2. Yvon Haessig/Gonzalo Blanco (UPSTM) def. Oliver Strecker/David Salazar (LIPM) 8-7
3. Viktor Selander/Jamie Yates (UPSTM) def. Colby Shaw/John Tougher (LIPM) 9-7
Lipscomb 7-10, 3-4 A-Sun
USC Upstate 8-10, 2-4 A-Sun
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (1,3,5,2,6,4)