NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team fell 5-2 to Florida Gulf Coast on Saturday on the Lipscomb campus at Huston-Marsh Griffith Tennis Center.
Daniel Hernandez at No. 3 and Stuart Tierney at No. 5 recorded the only two victories for Lipscomb on Saturday afternoon.
The Bisons lost the doubles point and did not win any matches out of three.
Seniors David Salazar and Miguel Cortez played their last match at home and unfortunately did not win after a tough fight against their opponents.
Salazar played a tough three set match against opponent Tianyu Bao. He started off slow and lost the first set 6-2 but swept the second set 6-1 from Bao but later ended up losing the third set in a close fight 6-4.
“It was a great experience playing for Lipscomb,” said Salazar.
“If I could do it all over again, I would do exactly the same thing and wouldn’t change anything.”
“I love my team, my coach and my community at Lipscomb.”
Salazar stressed that it was a tough match with a lot of emotions and was a tough loss for him.
“We still have two more matches to go and we are still going to fight to make it to the conference tournament.”
Lipscomb lost at No. 1, No. 2, No. 4 and No. 6 in singles.
“I'm Really proud of the guys and how they fought today,” said Lipscomb men’s tennis coach Mario Hernandez.
“We put ourselves in the position to win but came up just short.”
“Our level is improving though and we have two more matches to try and qualify for the conference tournament.”
Coach Hernandez stressed that no one in the team is quitting and the Bisons are still in the race.
Lipscomb dropped 5-1 in the conference after this loss.
The Bisons will be in action against Northern Kentucky University on April 9 at Highland Heights, Ky.
Men’s Lipscomb vs. FGCU (2-5)
1. Jordi Vives (FGCU) def. Rob Mitchell (Lip) 7-6, 6-3
2. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) def. David Salazar (Lip) 6-2, 1-6, 6-4
3. Daniel Hernandez (Lip) def. Lucas Vaz (FGCU) 7-5, 6-1
4. Lance Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Miguel Cortez (Lip) 7-5 7-5
5. Stuart Tierney (Lip) def. Gabriel Echeverry (FGCU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Adrian Ried (FGCU) def. Nacor Ibanez (Lip) 6-4, 6-1
1. Vives/ Tsamas (FGCU) def. Tierney / Cortez (Lip) 8-6
2. Bao/ Lvovsky (FGCU) def. Hernandez/ Mitchell (Lip) 8-6
3. Vaz/ Reid (FGCU) def. Salazar/Ibanez (Lip) 8-5