NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb men’s tennis team downed Northern Kentucky University 4-2 in an Atlantic Sun Conference match at Highland Heights, Ky.
“The guys know their season is at stake, and they fought so well,” said Lipscomb coach Mario Hernandez.
“The doubles point was huge.”
Lipscomb won at No. 1 and No. 2 courts to earn the doubles point.
In singles, the Bisons recorded victories at No. 1, No. 2, and No. 5 while No. 3 remained unfinished.
Daniel Hernandez played aggressively and ousted Peirce Kohls 6-4, 6-2.
Freshman Rob Mitchell at No. 1 defeated NKU’s Mate Virag in a tough straight set fight, 6-3, 7-6(3)
Miguel Cortez at No. 4 and Nacor Ibanez at No. 6 lost their respective matches in straight sets.
Stuart Tierney at No. 5 was amongst other winners in singles for Lipscomb against NKU. Tierney played consistently to defeat NKU’s Jack Carney with the score of 6-3, 6-4.
“Our conference tournament is still alive and we are excited to get down to UNF and see what we can do,” said Coach Hernandez. “Once again I am so proud of the boys.”
The Bisons will play against North Florida in the last conference match on April 12 in Jacksonville, Fla. before the A-Sun Championships.
- Rob Mitchell (Lip) def. Mate Virag 6-3, 7-6 (3)
- Daniel Hernandez (Lip) def. Peirce Kohls 6-4, 6-2
- David Salazar (Lip) vs. Jody Maginley (NKU) DNF 7-5, 6-3, 2-3
- Christopher Angulo (NKU) def. Miguel Cortez (Lip) 7-5, 6-1
- Stuart Tierney (Lip) def. Jack Carney (NKU) 6-3, 6-4
- Balint Zsidai (NKU) def. Nacor Ibanez (Lip) 6-3, 6-2
- Cortez/Tierney (Lip) def. Virag /Kohls (NKU) 8-7 (5)
- Hernandez/Mitchell (Lip) def. Lang/ Casney (NKU) 8-6
- Zsidai/ Maginley (NKU) def. Salazar/ Ibanez (Lip) 8-6