|Men's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches » 2014 Stats|
Sunday, February 22, 2009The Bisons made it a clean sweep with two match wins in the Dayton Collegiate Tournament Saturday and Sunday in Dayton, Ohio.
In their first match against the University of Northern Kentucky, the Bisons won 6-1.
Doubles winners for the Bisons include Mario Hernandez and Daniel Hangstefer, who defeated Dlabik and Arenstein 8-6.
James Murrell and Chad Pierron defeated Ortiz and Knoll 8-6. Joe McArdle and Andy Mizell defeated Fraser and Luwengran 8-6.
The Bisons advanced to take a significant lead in singles, winning all but one set.
Singles winners for the Bisons included Joe McArdle, who defeated Ortiz 7-6, 2-6, 13-11 (10 point tie-breaker).
Daniel Hangstefer defeated Arenstein 6-2, 6-4. James Murrell beat Knoll 6-2, 6-1.
Other singles winners included Josh Cummings who defeated Krano 6-0, 6-0. Mario Hernandez beat Weaver in a close 6-4, 6-3.
The Bisons went on to play the University of Dayton in their second match of the tournament. Lipscomb won in a tight match 4-3.
Unable to clinch the doubles point, the Bisons gained momentum in singles in order to take the lead.
“After winning the Northern Kentucky match our guys really struggled in the doubles.," said coach Andrew Harris. "We still need to work on finishing points and games when closing matches.
“However, down 2-0 to Dayton after losing the doubles point and James Murrell pulling out with an injury in singles they found a way to get the job done. That is what I am most proud of about these wins today is that it was a total team effort.”
Singles winners included Joe McArdle, who defeated Rohana 6-3, 6-3. Daniel Hangstefer was another winner for the Bisons, defeating Warneck 6-2, 6-4.
Bruno Melibeu won in a close, but tough match 6-7 (7-3), 6-2, 7-6 (8-6). Mario Hernandez lost his first match against Weigand, but took the second two matches, winning 5-7, 6-1, 6-2.
“Everyone had to step up and make something happen no matter how bleak the situation might have been," said Harris. "They pulled themselves out of some huge holes tonight and did what they needed to in order to get the win."
The Bisons are 4-1 overall. Their next home match will be against Abilene Christian on Feb. 26. The place and time of the match are to be announced.
1) Hernandez/Hangstefer vs. Dlabik/Arenstein LU Won 8-6
2) Murrell/Pierron vs. Ortiz/Knoll LU Won 8-6
3) McArdle/Mizell vs. Fraser/Luwengran LU Won 8-6
1) McArdle vs Ortiz LU Won 7-6, 2-6, 13-11 (10 Point Tiebraker for the Third)
2) Melibeu vs. Dlabik NKU Won 6-2, 7-5
3) Hangstefer vs. Arenstein LU Won 6-2,6-4
4) Murrell vs. Knoll LU Won 6-2,6-1
5) Cummings vs. Kranno LU Won 6-0,6-0
6) Hernandez vs. Weaver LU Won 6-4,6-3
Final: LU 6 Northern Kentucky 1
1) Hernandez/Hangstefer vs. Rohana/Peyton UD 9-7
2) Murrell/Pierron vs. Sherman/Koscieliski UD 9-8 (8-6)
3) McArdle/Mizell vs. Womack/Weigand UD 9-8 (7-4)
1) McArdle vs Rohana LU 6-3, 6-3
2) Pierron vs. Sherman UD 6-2,4-6,6-3
3) Hangstefer vs. Warneck LU 6-2,6-4
4) Murrell vs. Peyton UD 4-6, 1-4 Ret
5) Melibeu vs. Kosckieliski LU 6-7, (7-3) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
6) Hernandez vs. Weigand LU 5-7, 6-1, 6-2
Final LU 4 Univ. of Dayton 3
Men's Tennis Archives
2008-09 Men's Tennis