|Men's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches » 2015 Stats|
Saturday, March 06, 2010The Bisons opened conference season play Friday against Campbell University. Unfortunately, Lipscomb was not able to pull out the win, losing the match 7-0.
Although they made a strong showing, the men came up short in their doubles play.
Daniel Hangstefer and Mario Hernandez fell at No. 1 to Davy Sum and Dominik Kaniewski 8-2.
At the No. 2 spot, James Murrell and Chad Pierron lost a tough match to opponents Larbi Lamzouri and Joseph Baro 8-4.
Tanner Brown and Colby Shaw lost 8-5 in a close match against Ian Kahler and Ondrej Kralik at No. 3.
After losing all three doubles and dropping the doubles point, the Bisons went into singles play.
At No. 1, Hangstefer had a close three set match against Sum, but unfortunately could not pull out the win, losing 5-7, 6-4, 6-2.
Pierron lost his match at No. 2 to Lamzouri after rallying back in the second set 6-2, 7-6(4).
The Bisons found themselves in a 3-0 deficit, struggling to close out close sets.
Murrell fell to Mondini 6-2, 6-2 at No. 3.
At No. 4, Hernandez lost to Loukas Wallaart 6-2, 6-1, bringing the match score to 5-0 in favor of Campbell.
Campbell won the next two matches as well.
Brown was defeated by David Clavera in a three setter at the No. 5 spot, falling 3-6, 6-2, (10-6) with a tie-breaker substituting for the third set.
At No. 6, Shaw fell to Kralik 6-4, 6-3.
“Obviously there were some tighter matches,” said head coach Andrew Harris. “We really started out pretty strong, and we were just not able to finish some of the matches we got ahead in. We need to work on the matches when we are ahead by multiple games.”
Harris is hopeful that the guys will close out more matches tomorrow in their second conference match.
1. Davy Sum/Dominik Kaniewski (CU) def. Daniel Hangstefer/Mario Hernandez (LU) 8-2
2. Larbi Lamzouri/ Josep Baro (CU) def. Chad Pierron/James Murrell (LU) 8-4
3. Ian Kahler/ Ondrej Kralik (CU) def. Tanner Brown/Colby Shaw (LU) 8-5
1. Sum (CU) def. Hangstefer (LU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
2. Lamzouri (CU) def. Pierron (LU) 6-2, 7-6(4)
3. Mondini (CU) def. Murrell (LU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Loukas Wallaart (CU) def. Hernandez (LU) 6-2, 6-1
5. David Clavera (CU) def. Brown (LU) 3-6, 6-2, (10-6)
6. Kralik (CU) def. Shaw (LU) 6-4, 6-3
Written by Ashlan Williams, student assistant in sports information.
Men's Tennis Archives
2009-10 Men's Tennis