|Men's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches » 2014 Stats|
Sunday, February 05, 2012
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- The Lipscomb men’s tennis team dropped its third match of the spring season Saturday falling 6-1 to Chattanooga at the UTC Tennis Center.
"This afternoon was a match that everyone was looking to play after our close defeat at Samford last weekend,” said Lipscomb head coach Andrew Harris. “Coming out strong in the doubles was critical. Oliver and Daniel did a great job fighting at No. 1 doubles and then at No. 33 doubles Colby and David are really clicking.
“That all bodes well for us heading deeper into the spring season, unfortunately though we continue to struggle in our singles matches. Inconsistent play and a lack of resiliency continue to be an issue.”
Lipscomb's lone point came from doubles play, where they picked up two of the three matches.
Junior Oliver Strecker and freshman Daniel Hernandez pulled out a tight tie-breaker win at No. 1 doubles, defeating Chris Smith and Roberto Vieira 9-8(7-5).
Junior Colby Shaw and sophomore David Salazar secured the doubles point with a win at No. 3 where they beat Jackson Tresnan and Pavels Grigorjevs 8-4.
The Bison only dropped No. 2 doubles. Junior Tanner Brown and sophomore Miguel Cortez fell to Stephen Crofford and Ankit Chopra 8-6.
Unfortunately, Lipscomb was unable to carry the momentum over to singles play, dropping all six singles matches.
The bottom of the Bison lineup showed the strongest competition, posting two three-set matches, both including tiebreakers.
Cortez fell at No. 5 to Tresnan. Cortez lost the first set 7-5, but posted an easy win in the second set. Down 1-0 in the third, after the match had been decided, a tiebreaker determined the Cortez’s loss, ultimately falling 7-5, 1-6, 1-0 (10-3).
Freshman Stuart Tierney posted another three-setter for the Bison. Tierney was eventually defeated by Grigorjevs 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-1.
At No. 1, Strecker fell to Vieira 6-2, 6-1, while Salazar was defeated at No. 2 by Smith 6-2, 7-5.
Hernandez was taken down by Chopra at No. 3, losing 6-3, 7-6 (7-3), and Brown lost 6-3, 6-3 to Barroetavena at No. 4.
Lipscomb now takes two weeks off to practice before traveling to Dayton, Ohio to compete in the Dayton Invite on February 18.
1. Oliver Strecker/Daniel Hernandez (LIP) def. Chris Smith/Roberto Vieira (UTC) 9-8 (7-5)
2. Stephen Crofford/Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Tanner Brown/Miguel Cortez (LIP) 8-6
3. Colby Shaw/David Salazar (LIP) def. Jackson Tresnan/Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) 8-4
1. Roberto Vieira (UTC) def. Oliver Strecker (LIP) 6-2, 6-1
2. Chris Smith (UTC) def. David Salazar (LIP) 6-2, 7-5
3. Ankit Chopra (UTC) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
4. M. Barroetavena (UTC) def. Tanner Brown (LIP) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jackson Tresnan (UTC) def. Miguel Cortez (LIP) 7-5, 1-6, 1-0 (10-3)
6. Pavels Grigorjevs (UTC) def. Stuart Tierney (LIP) 7-6 (7-5), 4-6, 6-1
Men's Tennis Archives
2011-12 Men's Tennis