CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. –The Lipscomb men’s tennis team fell 6-1 to Austin Peay on Saturday in Clarksville, Tenn.
"Austin Peay did a great job today of showing mental toughness when it counted most,” head coach Andrew Harris said. “We had many three-set matches and are not far off from where we need to be. However, we didn't have enough to get over the hump today on the road. Winning on the road takes a tremendous amount of fortitude and right now we need to find ways to exhibit that if we are going to be successful."
The Bison’s lone point came at No. 5 singles, where junior Tanner Brown took down Iago Seffrin 6-4, 6-2.
The teams started off the match with doubles, and the Governors took all three matches, securing the doubles point.
Junior Oliver Strecker and freshman Daniel Hernandez fell at No. 1 to Sean Bailey and Dimitar Ristovski 8-4, while Brown and sophomore Miguel Cortez were defeated at No. 2 9-7 by Iasmin Ademovic and John Storie.
Sophomore David Salazar and junior Colby Shaw lost at No. 3, falling to Seffrin and Aleksas Tverijonas 10-8.
The Bison were unable to pull out the remaining five singles matches, posting two, three-set matches.
Salazar fell at No. 2 to Ademovic after a slight comeback to take the second set, but eventually losing 6-0, 2-6, 6-2.
At No. 3, Hernandez followed in Salazar’s pattern, splitting his opponent’s sets. Hernandez was defeated by Ristovski 7-5, 4-6, 6-3.
Strecker fell at the No. 1 spot, losing to Bailey 7-5, 6-2, while freshman Stuart Tierney was defeated by Tverijonas 6-3, 6-0 at No. 4.
Lipscomb’s final loss came at No. 6, where Shaw fell to Storie 7-5, 7-6 (10-7).
The Bison will host Detroit next on Saturday, March 3rd at Richland Country Club. Match play will begin at 10 a.m.
1. BAILEY, Sean (APSU) def. Oliver Strecker (LIP) 7-5, 6-2
2. ADEMOVIC, Jasmin (APSU) def. David Salazar (LIP) 6-0, 2-6, 6-2
3. RISTOVSKI, Dimitar (APSU) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
4. TVERIJONAS, Aleksas (APSU) def. Stuart Tierney (LIP) 6-3, 6-0
5. Tanner Brown (LIP) def. SEFFRIN, Iago (APSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. STORIE, John (APSU) def. Colby Shaw (LIP) 7-5, 7-6 (10-7)
1. BAILEY, Sean/RISTOVSKI, Dimitar (APSU) def. Daniel Hernandez/Oliver Strecker (LIP) 8-4
2. ADEMOVIC, Jasmin/STORIE, John (APSU) def. Tanner Brown/Miguel Cortez (LIP) 9-7
3. SEFFRIN, Iago/TVERIJONAS, Aleksas (APSU) def. David Salazar/Colby Shaw (LIP) 9-7 (10-8)