NASHVILLE, TENN. - After a two-week hiatus, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team (1-2) netted their first win of the season, a 4-3 victory over the Abilene Christian University (ranked no. 11 in D-II) at the Richland Country Club Friday night.
David Salazar, Daniel Hernandez, Stuart Tierney and Miguel Cortez all posted wins in the singles competition, while the doubles team of Stuart Tierney and Miguel Cortez bested their opponents.
Lipscomb head coach Andrew Harris shared his enthusiasm for the team’s showing against the Wildcats.
“The guys really responded well,” Harris said. “I know we might not have played the cleanest match of the year, but the effort and competitiveness is what made it happen at the end.
“We told the guys after doubles to settle down and make good decisions. You look at the way Salazar, Daniel and Stuart came out in singles [and] quickly put ACU back on their heels before Miguel capped it off.”
The men’s team will play at Vanderbilt Friday, Feb. 15 at 6:30 p.m. Harris expects a good week of practice before the match.
“We are looking forward to working more on the doubles and singles before Vandy," Harris said.
Lipscomb 4, Abilene Christian 3
Feb 08, 2013 at Nashville
(Richland Country Club)
1. Hans Hach (ACUM) def. Oliver Strecker (LUM) 6-0, 6-1
2. David Salazar (LUM) def. Borja Cortes (ACUM) 7-6, 3-6, 6-3
3. Daniel Hernandez (LUM) def. Guilherme Gesser (ACUM), 6-1, 6-4
4. Stuart Tierney (LUM) def. Nicklas Wingord (ACUM), 6-2, 6-3
5. Jason Proctor (ACUM) def. Colby Shaw (LUM), 6-2, 6-3
6. Miguel Cortez (LUM) def. Marco Bensley (ACU)M, 7-6, 6-2
1. Hans Hach/Borja Cortes (ACUM) def. Oliver Strecker/David Salazar (LUM), 8-3
2. Stuart Tierney/Miguel Cortez (LUM) def. Guilherme Gesser/Jason Proctor (ACUM), 8-6
3. Nicklas Wingord/Marco Bensley (ACUM) def. Colby Shaw/Tanner Brown (LUM), 8-1