|Men's Tennis » Schedule » Roster » News » Coaches » 2014 Stats|
Friday, March 14, 2014
MACON, Ga. - The Lipscomb men's tennis team downed Mercer in a 4-3 decision in the Atlantic Sun Conference opener on Friday afternoon at the LeRoy Peddy Tennis Center.
Daniel Hernandez clinched the match for Lipscomb after his opponent Manuel De Luis retired at 6-4, 4-6.
“I feel like we came strong like we needed to do in singles and took care of that,” said Hernandez.
“We were a lot stronger conditioning and that’s what was key. We won overall 4-3. I clinched the match.”
Lipscomb men’s tennis advanced to 3-6 in the season.
The Bisons did not record a win in doubles but came out strong in singles and dominated Mercer by winning four singles matches.
Lipscomb freshman Rob Mitchell at No. 2 downed Arnav Mohanty in straight sets. (6-4, 6-2)
“The match was a lot more intense than our previous matches but it was great because we showed as a team how much we wanted to win by coming back from 3-0 down,” said Mitchell.
“It was great experience and I felt good on court playing solid tennis.”
Lipscomb lost at No. 1 and No. 6 in singles.
Stuart Tierney at No. 3 and Miguel Cortez at No. 5 won their respective singles matches to bring home victory.
“I played pretty good on singles,” said Cortez. “Today was total team effort, awesome come back that completely showed we are still alive.”
“From top to bottom, coaches, the energy levels were unbelievable. At the end it showed our strength. We are a full line up.”
“We are pretty pumped for this win,” said Tierney. “I got my rhythm back because of the support and belief of my teammates.”
“We have been through so much this year that everyone rallied around one another after we went 3-0."
“We all raised our level of play and as soon as someone finished their match they started getting loud for everyone else.”
It was an all around team effort; the team is thrilled with this victory and start to conference season.
The Bisons will be facing Kennesaw State at Kennesaw, Ga. on Saturday.
1. Oliver Snaider (MER_M) def. David Salazar (LIPM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Rob Mitchell (LIPM) def. Arnav Mohanty (MER_M) 6-4, 6-2
3. Stuart Tierney (LIPM) def. Anderson Scarpa (MER_M) 6-2, 2-6, 6-2
4. Manuel De Luis (MER_M) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIPM) 4-6, 4-6, retired
5. Miguel Cortez (LIPM) def. Austin Emmet (MER_M) 7-6, 6-3
6. Joao Pagan (MER_M) def. Nacor Ibanez (LIPM) 6-0, 6-1
1. Oliver Snaider/Austin Emmet (MER_M) vs. Miguel Cortez/Stuart Tierney (LIPM) unfinished
2. Arsav Mohanty/Arnav Mohanty (MER_M) def. Daniel Hernandez/Rob Mitchell (LIPM) 8-3
3. Anderson Scarpa/Joao Pagan (MER_M) def. David Salazar/Nacor Ibanez (LIPM) 8-1
Men's Tennis Archives
2013-14 Men's Tennis