NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Lipscomb Bisons tennis team had a successful final tune-up before the start of the Atlantic Sun portion of the season.
Wednesday night at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on the Lipscomb campus the Bisons beat North Alabama 6-1.
“I am really happy for the guys,” Lipscomb coach Mario Hernandez said. “It was a good win against a good team.”
The Bisons won the doubles point taking two of three matches.
In singles play Rob Mitchell (No. 1), Alejandro Manzanares (No. 2), Philippe Courteau, John Tougher (No. 5) and Thais Minet (No. 6) all won in straight sets.
“Everyone contributed to the win which was great to see,” Hernandez said. “In practice and in this match I felt that our guys are getting closer as a team.
“Many of them are first semester freshmen, so they are learning on the fly what it means to be part of a team as opposed to only playing for themselves.”
Hernandez gives junior Tougher and sophomore Mitchell much of the credit for leading the team.
The Bisons open A-Sun play Thursday at 2 p.m. when North Florida visits.
"We are now looking ahead to North Florida which is ranked No. 51 in the nation and the University of Kentucky which is always on the national scene,” Hernandez said. “Both matches will be good tests for us and only help make us a better and tougher team. Hopefully the weather holds up."
Lipscomb 6, North Alabama 1
- Mitchell/Courteau (LIP) def. Dechoz/Millington-Herrmann (UNA) 8-5
- Ausbon/Druppel (UNA) def. Tougher/Minot (LIP) 8-7 (2)
- Manzanares/Alex Pavel (LIP) def. Garcia/Murad (UNA) 8-4
- Mitchell (LIP) def. Dechoz (UNA) 6-2, 6-3
- Manzanares (LIP) def. Millington-Herrmann (UNA) 6-4, 6-0
- Courteau (LIP) def. Garcia (UNA) 6-3, 6-1
- Druppel (UNA) def. Pavel (LIP) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Tougher (LIP) def. Ausbon (UNA) 6-2, 6-1
- Minet (LIP) def. Cordero (UNA) 6-4, 6-3