NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Rob Mitchell set a strong example for the Lipscomb Bisons, but his teammates were not able to duplicate his efforts in a 4-1 loss to North Florida in the Atlantic Sun Conference tennis opener Thursday night at the Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on the Lipscomb campus.
The Bisons failed to win the doubles point.
Mitchell was the only Lipscomb player to win a singles match.
"Rob Mitchell played a great match,” Lipscomb coach Mario Hernandez said. “There were a lot of ups and downs in his match but he kept it together mentally when it really mattered.
“He can take a lot of confidence from this result as he realizes that he's in control of his emotions on the court and ultimately his play. It was a good step forward for him."
The Bisons are back on the court Saturday at 6 p.m. when Kentucky visits from the Southeastern Conference. The Bisons lost 4-0 to Kentucky in Birmingham, Alabama Feb. 22.
Despite the outcome against North Florida Hernandez is encouraged by the play of his team.
"I am very proud of the guys,” Hernandez said. “They fought extremely hard against a very good team. We have nothing but positives to take away from this match.
“Playing tough opponents shows us what we need to work on. We will take those notes and get better and better. I can't wait to play Kentucky and have another opportunity to compete and improve."
North Florida 4, Lipscomb 1
- Gomes/Zuern (UNF) def. Mitchell/Courteau (LIP), 8-3
- Muscheites/Goldberg (UNF) def. Tougher/Minet (LIP), DNF, 4-5
- Nemcsek/Bradley (UNF) def. Manzanares/Pavel (LIP), 8-2
- Mitchell (LIP) def. Gomes (UNF) , 6-7 (3), 6-2, 7-6 (3)
- Nemcsek (UNF) def. Manzanares (LIP), 7-5, 6-4
- Zueren (UNF) def. Courteau (LIP) 6-2, 6-1
- Bradley (UNF) def. Pavel (LIP), 6-4, 6-2
- Muscheites (UNF) vs. Tougher (LIP), 4-6, 2-1, DNF
- Goldberg (UNF) vs. Minet (LIP), ), 0-0, DNF