NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis looked to avenge a loss to Kentucky from earlier in the season on Saturday, but fell 4-1.
Play started with singles and on a high note for the Bisons as Rob Mitchell picked up an early win at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center.
Mitchell faced top seeded Jerry Lopez and pulled out a big 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 victory. Mitchell has now won his last five singles matchups, as he continues to lead the Bisons.
“Rob is one of our hardest workers and most competitive guys,” head coach Mario Hernandez said. “He brings it every day and shows what can happen when you do that.”
As the two seed, Alejandro Manzanares won the first set 6-4 against William Bushamuka, who is ranked at No. 125 in men’s singles. Bushamuka would turn things around as he went on to win 4-6, 7-5, 6-2.
Philippe Courteau found himself in a three set battle as the third seed against Nils Ellefsen. Courteau won the first set 6-1 before Ellefsen took the second 7-5. Kentucky would go on to clinch the match before this match could be decided as the score sat at 6-1, 5-7, 5-5.
“This match was perfect for us,” Hernandez said. “Perfect for our development as a tough team, especially as we head into conference play. We need to play tough teams to raise our level.
“The guys need to get used to this level of play. We plan to head in that direction in level of competition. Tennis is more fun on the big stage.”
The Bisons are back in action on Thursday as they travel to Fort Myers, Florida to take on Florida Gulf Coast as they go back into conference play. Play in Florida is set to begin at 4 p.m.
Kentucky 4 – Lipscomb 1
1. Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) vs. Beck Pennington/Kevin Lai (UK) DNP
2. John Tougher/Thais Minet (Lip.) vs. Jerry Lopez/Nils Ellefsen (UK) DNP
3. Alejandro Manzanares/Alex Pavel (Lip.) vs. William Bushamuka/Trey Yates DNP
1. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) def. Jerry Lopez (UK) 7-6(7-3), 6-2
2. William Bushamuka (UK) def. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) 4-6, 7-5, 6-2
3. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) vs. Nils Ellefsen (UK) 6-1, 5-7, 5-5 DNF
4. Jake Stefanik (UK) def. Alex Pavel (Lip.) 6-1, 6-2
5. Gus Benson (UK) def. John Tougher (Lip.) 6-1, 6-2
6. Trey Yates (UK) def. Thais Minet (Lip.) 6-2, 6-2