FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team fell to 0-2 in conference play on Thursday with a 6-1 loss to Florida Gulf Coast in Fort Myers.
Florida Gulf Coast came out and took the doubles point to start things off and did not look back from there.
The Bisons were able to pick up a win as Alejandro Manzanares defeated second seeded Ricky Ventura 6-2, 6-4.
Head coach Mario Hernandez was pleased with the fight he saw from his guys.
“We’ve got to give credit to Florida Gulf Coast,” Hernandez said. “They’re a tough, deep team. Our guys fought from top to bottom though. I’m happy with how our guys fought.
“We’re right in there and getting better from where we were. Progressing each week is the most important thing.”
Hernandez wants his team to be playing their best tennis by the end of the season as they play for a conference tournament berth.
“Top to bottom was very competitive today and that’s a step in the right direction,” Hernandez said.
As the Bisons prepare to take on Stetson on Saturday, Hernandez wants his team to continue what they’ve done all season.
“We’ll get right back at it,” Hernandez said. “We’re not going to change anything because of this result.”
Play against Stetson will begin at 1 p.m. in Deland, Florida.
Fort Myers, FL
Florida Gulf Coast 6 – Lipscomb 1
1. Ricky Ventura/Lucas Vaz (FGCU) def. Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 8-5
2. Jordi Vives/Eduardo Alfonzo (FGCU) def. John Tougher/Thais Minet (Lip.) 8-3
3. Tianyu Bao/Austin Bates (FGCU) vs. Alejandro Manzanares/Alex Pavel (Lip.) Unfinished
1. Jordi Vives (FGCU) def. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) 6-0, 6-0
2. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) def. Ricky Ventura (FGCU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Tianyu Bao (FGCU) def. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
4. Eduardo Alfonzo (FGCU) def. Alex Pavel (Lip.) 6-3, 6-4
5. Michael Beiler (FGCU) def. John Tougher (Lip.) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
6. Austin Bates (FGCU) def. Thais Minet (Lip.) 7-6(1), 6-3