DELAND, Fla. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team is leaving Florida without a win, but it did not leave without a fight.
The Bisons came out aggressive, taking the doubles point with wins at the one and three spots, but could not quite keep up in singles play and fell 5-2 in Atlantic Sun Conference action to Stetson on Saturday.
As the top duo, Rob Mitchell and Philippe Courteau defeated Nathan Debut and Chester Espie 8-3.
In the three line, Alex Pavel and Alejandro Manzanares teamed up to down Simon Julin and Graham Ball 8-4.
“It’s a positive for us to win doubles,” head coach Mario Hernandez said. “Doubles is getting better, but we still need to get all three lines going at the same time.”
Stetson (11-7, 3-1 A-Sun) got things going in singles play, taking five of the six matches.
“A couple of our guys got off to slow starts,” Hernandez said. “They got into a hole early.”
Lipscomb (9-10, 0-3 A-Sun) picked up a win early in singles as Manzanares, who was playing as the two seed, defeated Laurynas Antropikas 6-2, 6-0.
“Alejandro played particularly well,” Hernandez said. “He’s really stepped up. He’s performing well and in a professional manner.
“The guys need to accept that the conference isn’t easy. There are things we need to address as far as mental fortitude. It’s the guys choice if they want to do that or not to be a better team.”
The Bisons will be back in action on Thursday as they face USC Upstate at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on Lipscomb’s campus. Play is set to begin at 2 p.m.
Stetson 5 – Lipscomb 2
1. Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) def. Nathan Debut/Chester Espie (Stet.) 8-3
2. Laurynas Antropikas/Loic Blanco (Stet.) def. John Tougher/Thais Minet (Lip.) 8-1
3. Alex Pavel/Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) def. Simon Julin/Graham Ball (Stet.) 8-4
1. Nathan Debut (Stet.) def. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) 5-7, 6-3, 6-1
2. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) def. Laurynas Antropikas (Stet.) 6-2, 6-0
3. Loic Blanco (Stet.) def. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
4. Simon Julin (Stet.) def. Alex Pavel (Lip.) 6-1, 6-1
5. Graham Ball (Stet.) def. John Tougher (Lip.) 6-0, 6-1
6. Chester Espie (Stet.) def. Thais Minet (Lip.) 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)