NASHVILLE, Tenn. - While many college students were just getting out of bed, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team was on the courts getting ready to face Atlantic Sun Conference opponent USC-Upstate.
The Bisons couldn’t get things going for the 9 a.m. start as USC-Upstate (4-15, 2-2) went on to win the match 6-0 Thursday at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center on the Lipscomb campus.
“This really wasn’t our best performance all the way around,” head coach Mario Hernandez said. “The whole team, coaches and players, did not perform to the standard we have.”
In the top-seeded match, Rob Mitchell dropped an early set to Ramon Simonetti but would bounce back to take the second set 6-1. Simonetti would go on to win the match in a third-set tiebreak 7-6, 1-6, 10-4.
Even with the loss, Hernandez didn’t feel like energy was the issue for the Bisons.
“Getting energy up for a conference match should not be a problem,” Hernandez said. “If you’re not getting up, you’re wasting your opportunity.”
Lipscomb (9-11, 0-4) will head to Georgia over the weekend for a match against Kennesaw State (5-10, 0-3).
The Bisons want to make the conference tournament at the end of the season and can still achieve that goal.
“We have two more matches in the conference and we have the chance to make it to the tournament,” Hernandez said. “We need to forget about the last one and compete as hard as we can.
“We really need to look inside ourselves. The mental part, the character part, the attitude part. There’s not much we can change from the tennis standpoint. If you take care of those parts, you’ll give yourself a chance.”
USC-Upstate 6 – Lipscomb 0
1. Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) vs. Ramon Simonetti/Jamie Yates (USCU) DNP
2. John Tougher/Thais Minet (Lip.) vs. Viktor Selander/Ignacio Garrido (USCU) DNP
3. Alejandro Manzanares/Alex Pavel (Lip.) vs. Rajanvir Dharni/Felix Ewers (USCU) DNP
1. Ramon Simonetti (USCU) def. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) 7-6, 1-6, 10-4
2. Viktor Selander (USCU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) 6-0, 7-6
3. Jamie Yates (USCU) def. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 6-3, 6-1
4. Ignacio Garrido (USCU) def. John Tougher (Lip.) 6-2, 6-3
5. Rajanvir Dharni (USCU) def. Alex Pavel (Lip.) 6-3, 6-4
6. Felix Ewers (USCU) def. Thais Minet (Lip.) 7-5, 6-2