MARIETTA, Ga. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team came up short again as they fell to Atlantic Sun Conference foe Kennesaw State 6-1 on Saturday.
Coach Mario Hernandez and his team are disappointed with the loss but he was encouraged by the play of his guys.
“I’m pretty happy with the way our guys competed today,” Hernandez said. “We’ve got to give credit to Kennesaw State. They’re a tough team.”
The Owls took the doubles point with wins at the two and three lines to give them an early lead.
Doubles did see freshman Kauai Linardi get his first action as a Bison as he teamed with Alex Pavel as the three seed. Pavel and Linardi would eventually fall 8-1.
Pavel would bounce back in singles however, as he defeated David Durham as the five seed 6-4, 7-6(5).
“Alex did a great job today,” Hernandez said. “He did a great job of mentally staying in the match.”
Lipscomb’s top seed, Rob Mitchell, found himself in another tight match as he battled Simon Pritchard into three sets. The two top seeds split the first two sets, but Pritchard would go on to win 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.
The Bisons continue to compete, even with the recent losses. Hernandez feels this will only help the young team moving forward.
“We have a lot of young guys,” Hernandez said. “It’s very important for them to keep competing. They keep battling. We’ll build on these experiences, good or bad.”
The Bisons (9-12, 0-5) will host Northern Kentucky next Saturday in a match with tournament implications. The Bisons and Norse (5-10, 0-4) both sit without a conference win so the winner of Saturday’s match will secure the final spot in the Atlantic Sun Conference tournament.
Hernandez hopes to see as much support as possible as they Bisons battle for a tournament berth. Play at Huston-Marsh-Griffith Tennis Center is set to begin at 2 p.m.
“The tournament has already started for us,” Hernandez said. “It’s kind of cool and dramatic that it’s our last regular season match. There will be some pressure but that’s part of the game. We have to embrace it and enjoy the moment.”
Kennesaw State 6 – Lipscomb 1
1. David Durham/Drew Wendel (KSU) vs. Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 7-6, DNF
2. Simon Pritchard/Jorge Wilton (KSU) def. John Tougher/Thais Minet (Lip.) 8-4
3. Manual Castellanos/Alejandro Valencia (KSU) def. Alex Pavel/Kauai Linardi (Lip.) 8-1
1. Simon Pritchard (KSU) def. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) 6-2, 3-6, 6-3
2. Alejandro Valencia (KSU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) 6-0, 6-4
3. Jake Bouchillon (KSU) def. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 6-4, 6-0
4. Manuel Castellanos (KSU) def. John Tougher (Lip.) 7-5, 3-6, (11-9)
5. Alex Pavel (Lip.) def. David Durham (KSU) 6-4, 7-6(5)
6. Jorge Wilton (KSU) def. Thais Minet (Lip.) 6-1, 6-2