NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team opened its spring season Friday against the 19th-ranked Vanderbilt Commodores inside the Currey Tennis Center. The Bisons fell 0-4.
Vanderbilt’s Suresh Eswaran and Tate Allwardt defeated Daniel Hernandez and Alejandro Manzanares, 6-3, for the Commodores first doubles win.
Gonzales Austen and Daniel Valent defeated Lipscomb’s pair of Alex Pavel and Philipe Courteau, 6-4, to secure the doubles point for VU.
Lipscomb’s John Tougher and Rob Mitchell were ahead of Ryan Smith and Pen Binet 4-2, but the match went unfinished.
“The guys showed up in doubles,” Coach Mario Hernandez said. “Rob and John were up but did not get to finish their match.”
In the top-seeded singles action, Mitchell faced off against Austen, who currently ranks 10th in the nation. Mitchell took the first set 6-4 and trailed in the second 1-3, but that match went unfinished.
“It was big for Rob to take a set on one of the top players in the nation,” Hernandez said.
Eswaren defeated Pavel (6-3, 6-1) for Vanderbilt’s first singles point. Smith defeated Daniel Hernandez (6-2, 6-2) for the second match win.
Jeff Offerdahl defeated Courteau (6-1, 6-2) to secure the match for Vandy.
Valent led the No. 2 singles match (6-3, 2-1), but it went unfinished. The No. 6 match between Tougher and Allwardt was not started.
Mario Hernandez took some positives from the opening match.
“We weren’t going in for close scores,” Mario Hernandez said. “We wanted to come in and make Vanderbilt uncomfortable. The guys did a great job of making it competitive.”
The Bisons head north to Ohio Jan. 23 to battle Wright State, Xavier and Dayton over the weekend.
“We’re going to go back to work and get ready for our trip to Ohio next weekend,” Mario Hernandez said.
No. 19 Vanderbilt 4 - Lipscomb 0
Doubles: (Order of finish 3,1)
1. Gonzales Austin/Daniel Valent (VU) def. Alex Pavel/Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-4
2. Pen Binet/Ryan Smith (VU) vs. John Tougher/Rob Mitchell (LIP) 2-4, unfinished
3. Suresh Eswaran/Tate Allwardt (VU) def. Daniel Hernandez/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-3
Singles: (Order of finish 4,3,5)
1. Gonzales Austin (VU) vs. Rob Mitchell (LIP) 4-6, 2-1, unfinished
2. Daniel Valent (VU) vs. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-2, 1-1, unfinished
3. Ryan Smith (VU) def. Daniel Hernandez (LIP) 6-2, 6-2
4. Suresh Eswaran (VU) def. Alex Pavel (LIP) 6-3, 6-1
5. Jeffrey Offerdahl (VU) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-1, 6-2
6. John Tougher (LIP) vs. Tate Allwardt (VU) not started