DAYTON, Ohio - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team picked up its first win of the season with a 5-2 victory over Wright State on Friday.
“It was a good win for us so we’re happy,” head coach Mario Hernandez said.
The Bisons quickly secured the doubles win with two 6-1 victories. Playing in the one spot, Alex Pavel and Philippe Courteau defeated Myles Harris and Simon Cote. John Tougher and Rob Mitchell teamed up to down Lauri Makikalli and Dan Gilbert in the two spot.
“The guys came out firing from the start,” Hernandez said. “The other team didn’t have time to get into the match. The energy was great in doubles.”
Singles action saw much of the same from the Bisons with them taking four of the six singles matches.
Mitchell had a convincing win at No. 1 with a (6-1, 6-1) victory over Aaron Madaris. Alejandro Manzanares defeated Marc Sodini (7-5, 6-0) for the second win. Courteau secured the next point with a 7-6(2), 6-2 defeat of Khalil Naji, while Pavel clinched the match with a tough three-set victory over Jose Pestana (6-7(7), 7-5, 6-3).
“Alex showed great fight, especially for a freshmen,” Hernandez said. “This was a total team effort.”
The Bisons will take on Xavier Saturday for their second of three matches this weekend.
“We have to keep battling and come out with the same intensity and fight. The main thing is bringing the same fight,” Hernandez said.
Lipscomb 5 - Wright State 2
1. Alex Pavel/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) def. Myles Harris/Simon Cote (WSU) 6-1
2. John Tougher/Rob Mitchell (Lip.) def. Lauri Makikalli/Dan Gilbert (WSU) 6-1
3. Khalil Naji/Rico Pineda (WSU) vs. Daniel Hernandez/Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) 5-4, unfinished
1. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) def. Aaron Madaris (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) def. Marc Sodini (WSU) 7-5, 6-0
3. Alex Pavel (Lip.) def. Jose Pestana (WSU) 6-7(7), 7-5, 6-3
4. Dan Gilbert (WSU) def. Daniel Hernandez (Lip.) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
5. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) def. Khalil Naji (WSU) 7-6(2), 6-2
6. Lauri Makikalli (WSU) def. John Tougher (Lip.) 6-3, 6-4