DAYTON, Ohio - Lipscomb’s men’s tennis team went two for three on the weekend, finishing with a 4-3 victory over Dayton on Sunday.
For the third day in a row the Bisons won the doubles point. That point would prove to be crucial at the end of the day.
In the top spot for doubles, Alex Pavel and Philippe Courteau defeated Bernardo Sanson and Josh Malyon 6-3. Daniel Hernandez and Thais Minet defeated Aiden Koross and Simon Jayaram 6-4, securing the point.
“Doubles point proved to be huge,” head coach Mario Hernandez said. “Doubles is becoming a real strength for us.”
Saturday, the Bisons had three singles matches go to three sets. Sunday showed much of the same as four of their matches went the full three sets. They had to fight through fatigue but were able to pull out three vital points.
Rob Mitchell was playing as the top seed for the Bisons and was involved in one of the three setters. He was able to pull out the win 6-0, 4-6, 6-4 over Sanson.
“Rob was in a tight third set and when he got the opportunity to drop big serves and close it, he took it.” Mario Hernandez said.
Alejandro Manzanares dropped the first set of his match but fought back to win it 3-6, 7-6, 6-4 over Koross. Pavel matched up with Malyon in singles and went on to win 6-1, 4-6, 6-2. Tougher’s match went to three as well, as he won the first set 6-2 but would go on to fall to Jayaram 2-6, 6-4, 7-6.
The only two-set matches went Dayton’s way as Fisher would defeat Daniel Hernandez 7-5, 6-2 and Berry defeated Courteau 6-3, 6-3.
“From one to six the guys battled really hard,” Mario Hernandez said. “It was a huge effort to dig deep. This was a total team effort, as always.”
The Bisons have a short week, as they will travel to Murray, Kentucky to take on Abilene Christian on Thursday. The team will focus on getting everyone healthy and rested before that match.
Lipscomb 4 – Dayton 3
1. Alex Pavel/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) def. Bernardo Sanson/Josh Malyon (UD) 6-3
2. John Tougher/Rob Mitchell (Lip.) vs. Carsten Fisher/Zach Berry (UD) 4-4, unfinished
3. Daniel Hernandez/Thais Minet (Lip.) def. Aiden Koross/Simon Jayaram (UD) 6-4
1. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) def. Bernardo Sanson (UD) 6-0, 4-6, 6-4
2. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) def. Aiden Koross (UD) 3-6, 7-6, 6-4
3. Alex Pavel (Lip.) def. Josh Malyon (UD) 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
4. Carsten Fisher (UD) def. Daniel Hernandez (Lip.) 7-5, 6-2
5. Zach Berry (UD) def. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 6-3, 6-3
6. Simon Jayaram (UD) def. John Tougher (Lip.) 2-6, 6-4, 7-6