NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team won its fourth match in a row Saturday defeating Tennessee Tech 4-3 at Richland Country Club.
Lipscomb’s five-match doubles streak was broken however, as Tech took the doubles point winning two of the three matches.
Playing in the two spot, John Tougher and Rob Mitchell got the lone doubles win in a 6-1 defeat of Gagan Jain and Othon Lima.
Head coach Mario Hernandez credits his team’s intensity in doubles to their win streak, but felt Tech did a good job of matching that intensity.
“They came out with a lot more fire than most teams we’ve played,” Mario Hernandez said. “Tech brought the intensity.”
Daniel Hernandez and Thais Minet were close to securing the doubles point as they battled into a tiebreak, but eventually the tandem of Eduardo Mena and Alvaro Cintas grabbed the 7-6(4) victory.
For the second day in a row the bottom of the lineup stepped up and secured four wins in singles play.
“As a team we knew we had to improve,” Mario Hernandez said. “But the bottom really needed to improve. They did an awesome job of stepping up and fighting like crazy.”
Serving as the team captain, Tougher was called upon to play the six spot after Minet had to pull out after his doubles match and eventually played a key role in locking up the victory.
With the match tied at three, Tougher stepped up to win his match and the match for the team after defeating Lima 6-3, 6-4.
“John was up to the challenge and knew the pressure,” Mario Hernandez said. “He overcame the pressure. He was a great example to our guys.”
Alejandro Manzanares pulled out a three-set victory over Mena (6-4, 3-6, 6-1) in the three spot.
Philippe Courteau defeated Cintas (6-1, 6-3).
Daniel Hernandez had a convincing win at No. 5 as he defeated Carlos Tejas (6-0, 6-2).
The Bisons will go into a much needed week of recovery before traveling to Clarksville on Saturday to face Austin Peay.
“We’ll just keep telling our guys to stay aggressive and go after the moment when you’ve got it,” Mario Hernandez said. “We’ll stick to what we’ve been doing.”
Lipscomb 4 – Tennessee Tech 3
1. Alex Arovin/Alberto Esteban (TTU) def. Alex Pavel/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 6-0
2. John Tougher/Rob Mitchell (Lip.) def. Gagan Jain/Othon Lima (TTU) 6-1
3. Eduardo Mena/Alvaro Cintas (TTU) def. Daniel Hernandez/Thais Minet (Lip.) 7-6(4)
1. Alex Arovin (TTU) def. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) 6-2, 6-1
2. Alberto Esteban (TTU) def. Alex Pavel (Lip.) 4-6, 7-5, 6-3
3. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) def. Eduardo Mena (TTU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-1
4. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) def. Alvaro Cintas (TTU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Daniel Hernandez (Lip.) def. Carlos Tejas (TTU) 6-0, 6-2
6. John Tougher (Lip.) def. Othon Lima (TTU) 6-3, 6-4