CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team pushed its win streak to five on Saturday with a 4-3 defeat of Austin Peay.
For only the third time this season the Bisons dropped the doubles point. The team of Daniel Hernandez and Thais Minet won the lone doubles match for the Bisons as they defeated Manuel Montenegro and James Mitchell 6-2.
“We’ve played two very tough doubles teams,” head coach Mario Hernandez said. “There was nothing we did wrong, they just came out tough.”
The Bisons victory was largely due to the effort from the bottom half of their lineup, which all came out with wins.
Mario Hernandez was especially complimentary of freshmen Philippe Courteau and Alejandro Manzanares, who both stepped up and won.
“Philippe and Alejandro both came up with huge wins,” Mario Hernandez said. “Philippe was down a match point and was able to win. The team in total did well.”
At the four spot, Courteau defeated Iago Seffrin of Austin Peay in a tough three-setter, 5-7, 6-2, 7-5.
At No. 5, Daniel Hernandez faced Montenegro and won 6-2, 7-5.
In the sixth seed match, John Tougher defeated Oleg Drobysh 6-3, 6-1.
The other singles win for the Bisons came from Manzanares in the two seed. He defeated Aleksas Tverijonas 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-2.
“It was a total team effort,” Mario Hernandez said. “Even the guys that lost were battling.”
The Bisons will now get to rest and recover as they are off until hosting Morehead State on Friday, February 20th at Richland Country Club.
“We’ll work with each and every guy sharpening things,” Mario Hernandez said. “Understanding their game and executing it will be the focus.”
Lipscomb 4 – Austin Peay 3
1. Dimitar Ristovski/Iago Seffrin (APSU) def. Alex Pavel/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 6-4
2. Aleksas Tverijonas/Aaron Jumorville (APSU) def. Rob Mitchell/John Tougher (Lip.) 6-3
3. Daniel Hernandez/Thais Minet (Lip.) def. Manuel Montenegro/James Mitchell (APSU) 6-2
1. Dimitar Ristovski (APSU) def. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) 6-3, 1-6, 6-3
2. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) def. Aleksas Tverijonas (APSU) 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-2
3. Aaron Jumorville (APSU) def. Alex Pavel (Lip.) 6-3, 6-2
4. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) def. Iago Seffrin (APSU) 5-7, 6-2, 7-5
5. Daniel Hernandez (Lip.) def. Manuel Montenegro (APSU) 6-2, 7-5
6. John Tougher (Lip.) def. Oleg Drobysh (APSU) 6-3, 6-1