CARBONDALE, Ill. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team traveled to SIU Carbondale on Saturday and improved their record to 7-4 with a 4-3 victory.
The Bisons found themselves down early, as SIU was able to take the doubles point to start the match.
In the top seed, Michal Kianicka and Alex Poza defeated Philippe Courteau and Alex Pavel, 6-4.
At the three spot, Jonny Rigby and Szymon Opieczonek defeated Daniel Hernandez and Alejandro Manzanares, 6-3.
“We came out a little flat,” coach Mario Hernandez said. “We came out a little slow in doubles.”
Coach Hernandez wanted his guys to impose themselves on their opponents from the start as they headed into singles play.
“The guys knew we had a good week of practice and that their was no need to panic,” Coach Hernandez said.
The Bisons were able to recover in singles play. They got strong play from the bottom half of the lineup in singles, as the three through six spots all pulled out victories to win the match.
The three and four seed matches both went the full three sets with the Bisons having to recover from dropping the first set.
Courteau played as the three seed and dropped the first set 1-6 to Poza. Courteau would bounce back to eventually take the match 1-6, 6-4, 6-2.
The fourth seeded match would prove even more tightly contested as Pavel battled Opieczonek. Pavel dropped a close first set 4-6, but would go on to take the match 4-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Coach Hernandez felt his team’s performance, especially that of Courteau and Pavel, was in part due to their recent work on controlling their mentality during matches.
“Samford was a tough, emotional match and the guys let their emotions get to them,” Coach Hernandez said. “Our focus was getting mentally tougher. That stuff came through today. We weren’t too high or too low emotionally.”
Daniel Hernandez played as the five seed and cruised past Max Phipps without losing a game to win 6-0, 6-0.
In the final spot, John Tougher defeated Peter Molloy to finish things out, 6-2, 6-2.
The Bisons will be back in action next Wednesday as they travel to Murfreesboro for a midweek bout with MTSU with play beginning at 2 p.m.
Lipscomb 4 – SIU-Carbondale 3
1. Michal Kianicka/Alex Poza (SIU) def. Philippe Courteau/Alex Pavel (Lip.) 6-4
2. Max Phipps/Daniel Martinez (SIU) vs. Rob Mitchell/John Tougher (Lip.) 4-5, unfinished
3. Jonny Rigby/Szymon Opieczonek (SIU) def. Daniel Hernandez/Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) 6-3
1. Jonny Rigby (SIU) def. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) 6-3, 6-2
2. Michal Kianicka (SIU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) 6-3, 7-6(8-6)
3. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) def. Alex Poza (SIU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Alex Pavel (Lip.) def. Szymon Opieczonek4-6, 6-4, 6-3
5. Daniel Hernandez (Lip.) def. Max Phipps (SIU) 6-0, 6-0
6. John Tougher (Lip.) def. Peter Molloy (SIU) 6-2, 6-2