MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team traveled to Murfreesboro on Wednesday for a midweek battle with Middle Tennessee. The Bisons started hot but would eventually fall 6-1.
The Bisons changed things up in doubles play as Rob Mitchell moved to the one seed to team up Philippe Courteau, while Alex Pavel played in the two seed with John Tougher.
“We had lost some doubles point so we wanted to try something different,” head coach Mario Hernandez said. “We want to perfect our lineup as we head into conference play.”
Those changed proved to be successful as they came out firing and grabbed the doubles point to secure an early lead.
Playing as the top seeded team, Mitchell and Courteau defeated Ettore Zito and Victor Hoang 8-5.
As the three seeds, Daniel Hernandez and Thais Minet defeated Robin Riethmueller and Miguel Negre 8-7(4).
“We played extremely well in doubles,” Mario Hernandez said. “To win the doubles point against MTSU was big for us.”
Momentum turned heading into singles play, as the Bisons weren’t able to get it going, dropping all six matches.
Philippe Courteau battled Hoang as the third seed match went the full three sets. The two men split the first two sets before Hoang took the third set and the match, 6-2, 3-6, 6-2.
“They are just better than us,” Mario Hernandez said. “We need to get used to that level of play like MTSU is.”
The Bisons will be back in action on Friday as they take on Morehead State at Richland Country Club at 7 p.m. On Saturday, they host Ball State at 1 p.m. The location for that match is yet to be determined as they Bisons will possibly begin outdoor play.
“Both are good teams that we have to compete with,” Mario Hernandez said. “We have to prepare well. We have to bring our A game.”
Middle Tennessee State 6 – Lipscomb 1
1. Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) def. Ettore Zito/Victor Hoang (MTSU) 8-5
2. Yannick Born/Gian Issa (MTSU) def. John Tougher/Alex Pavel (Lip.) 8-3
3. Daniel Hernandez/Thais Minet (Lip.) def. Robin Riethmueller/Miguel Negre Fernandez (MTSU) 8-7(4)
1. Ettore Zito (MTSU) def. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) 6-1, 6-2
2. Dima Zyhmantovich (MTSU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) 6-4, 6-2
3. Victor Hoang (MTSU) def. Philippe Courteau (Lip.) 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
4. Gian Issa (MTSU) def. Alex Pavel (Lip.) 6-2, 6-1
5. Yannick Born (MTSU) def. Daniel Hernandez (Lip.) 6-2, 6-3
6. Robin Riethmueller (MTSU) def. John Tougher (Lip.) 6-3, 6-2