The Lipscomb men’s tennis team picked up a big win on Saturday as they defeated Ball State 4-3.
The Bisons got down early as Ball State took the doubles point to start the match but bounced back heading into singles play.
“One and three in doubles were dog-fights,” head coach Mario Hernandez said. “We just told the guys heading into singles that they could see how close it is.
“We told the guys that they were playing a good team and they will compete. They had to accept the challenge.”
Playing as the top seed, Rob Mitchell took on Ray Leonard and pulled out a 6-1, 7-5 win to start singles play.
Philippe Courteau faced Pat Elliot as the three seed and earned a 6-4, 7-5 victory.
Daniel Hernandez, who usually plays as the five seed, played Jan Jirus as the four seed and won convincingly 6-1, 6-3.
With the match tied at three points a piece, John Tougher battled Patrick Downs in the six spot. Tougher took the first set 6-3 before Downs took the second by the same score. Tougher would outlast Downs as he won 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 to win the match for the Bisons.
“John really stepped up for us,” Coach Hernandez said. “He’s done that for us two or three times this season.
“This was really a team win though. We’ve told the guys that they can’t beat good teams with a couple of guys showing up, everyone has to step up.”
Heading into the season, the Bison’s introduced many new faces. Coach Mario Hernandez wasn’t sure what each player’s style was. Now that they’ve gone through half of the season, they can work on perfecting each guy’s play before they head into conference play.
The Bisons will be back in action next Friday as they travel to Birmingham to take on UAB.
Lipscomb 4 – Ball State 3
1. Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (Lip.) vs. Pat Elliot/Andrew Stutz (Ball St.) 6-6
2. Ray Leonard/Collin Rigney (Ball St.) def. John Tougher/Alex Pavel (Lip.) 6-1
3. Lucas Andersen/Matt Helm (Ball St.) def. Daniel Hernandez/Thais Minet (Lip.) 7-6(1)
1. Rob Mitchell (Lip.) def. Ray Leonard (Ball St.) 6-1, 7-5
2. Lucas Andersen (Ball St.) def. Alejandro Manzanares (Lip.) 6-3, 6-2
3.Philippe Courteau (Lip.) def. Pat Elliot (Ball St.) 6-4, 7-5
4. Daniel Hernandez (Lip.) def. Jan Juris (Ball St.) 6-1, 6-3
5. Andrew Stutz (Ball St.) def. Alex Pavel (Lip.) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
6. John Tougher (Lip.) def. Patrick Downs (Ball St.) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3