MURFREESBORO, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team wrapped up the Dale Short Shootout hosted by Middle Tennessee on Sunday as they defeated UAB 4-3.
The Bisons went 2-1 over the weekend with a win over Austin Peay as well. The lone loss came to the host Blue Raiders.
Rob Mitchell, 3-0, was named the Dale Short Shootout Singles Champion.
Head coach Mario Hernandez was happy with what he saw from his guys over the weekend.
“We wanted to see our guys put into practice what we’ve been working on,” Hernandez said. “We really challenged our guys with their energy and attitude. They competed with passion.”
The Bisons fell 5-2 to MTSU on Friday with two wins in singles play. Playing as the top seed, Mitchell defeated Dima Zyhmontovic 4-6, 6-3, 1-0. In the sixth spot, Kauai Linardi defeated Jacob Pugh 6-4, 6-4.
On Saturday, Lipscomb defeated the Governors of Austin Peay 6-1. In doubles, John Tougher and Philippe Courteau defeated Aleh Drobysh and Chad Woodham 6-1. Alejandro Manzanares and Daniel Cardenas defeated Evan Borowski and Taylor Graalman 6-4 to secure the doubles point.
In singles, Mitchell continued his strong play from the top spot as he defeated Aaron Jumonville 6-3, 7-6(4)
The Bisons would go on to drop just one match in singles play.
In Sunday’s match Lipscomb swept UAB in doubles play to take the point.
Singles play was much more even as the teams split the matches. Mitchell once again won his match as he defeated Luiz Filipe Pinto 6-1, 6-1.
“(Rob’s play) is a testament to him,” Hernandez said. “He’s been a solid guy for us since he was a freshman. For him to go 3-0 against quality teams says a lot.”
The Bisons only dropped one doubles match after their close matches against MTSU on the first day of play.
“We played great doubles throughout the weekend,” Hernandez said. “We played with great energy and attitude. We played the way we’ve been training to.”
As the Bisons move toward the end of their fall schedule, Hernandez just wants his team to keep doing what they’ve been doing. He feels their victory over UAB this weekend, a team they were defeated by this past spring, is proof of the progress they’ve made.
Lipscomb will be back in action in two weeks when they travel to Knoxville for the ITA Regional tournament.
Friday, Sept. 25
Lipscomb vs. MTSU
MTSU 5 – Lipscomb 2
- Miguel Negre/Gian Issa (MTSU) def. Rob Mitchell/Thais Minet (LIP) 7-6
- Gonzalo Morell/Dima Zyhmantovich (MTSU) def. John Tougher/Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-1
- Ayed Zatar Cordero/Jacob Pugh (MTSU) def. Alejandro Manzanares/Daniel
Cardenas (LIP) 7-6
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Dima Zyhmantovich (MTSU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0
- Gian Issa (MTSU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-1, 6-4
- Miguel Negre (MTSU) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-2, 6-1
- Gonzalo Morell (MTSU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-4, 6-1
- Ayed Zatar Cordero (MTSU) def. John Tougher (LIP) 6-1, 6-3
- Kauai Linardi (LIP) def. Jacob Pugh (MTSU) 6-4, 6-4
Saturday, Sept. 26
Lipscomb at Austin Peay
Lipscomb 6 – APSU 1
- Aaron Jumonville/Manuel Montenegro (APSU) def. Rob Mitchell/Thais Minet (LIP) 7-5
- John Tougher/Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Aleh Drobysh/Chad Woodham (APSU) 6-1
- Alejandro Manzanares/Daniel Cardenas def. Evan Borowski/Taylor Graalman (APSU) 6-4
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Aaron Jumonville 6-3, 7-6(4)
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Manuel Montenegro (APSU) 7-6(7), 6-2
- Aleh Drobysh (APSU) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 3-6, 7-6(4), (10-4)
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Chad Woodham (APSU) 7-5, 6-3
- Thais Minet (LIP) def. Evan Borowski (APSU) 4-6, 7-5, (10-1)
- John Tougher (LIP) def. Taylor Graalman (APSU) 7-6(7), 6-4
Sunday, Sept. 27
Lipscomb vs. UAB
Lipscomb 4 – UAB 3
- Rob Mitchell/Thais Minet (LIP) def. Kenton Parton/Mitchell Martell (UAB) 6-2
- John Tougher/Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Oliver Poysti/Luiz Filipe Pinto (UAB) 7-6 (4)
- Alejandro Manzanares/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Stepan Vancurik/Trey McCombs (UAB) 6-2
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Luiz Filipe Pinto (UAB) 6-1, 6-1
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Oliver Poysti (UAB) 6-3, 6-3
- Stepan Vancurik (UAB) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-3, 7-5
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Kenton Parton (UAB) 6-1, 6-3
- Trey McCombs (UAB) def. Kauai Linardi (LIP) 6-2, 6-3
- Henry Paiste (UAB) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 6-3, 6-4