NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team started their season on Saturday with a 4-0 loss to 25th -ranked Vanderbilt on West End at the Currey Tennis Center.
Despite the loss, Lipscomb coach Mario Hernandez was pleased by his team’s effort in their first match of the season.
“The guys did a good job of staying within their game,” Hernandez said. “They did a good job of competing.”
Hernandez wanted his team to be pushed right from the start and playing the Commodores accomplished that. He encouraged his team to play at their own level.
“The message going in was wanting our guys to not press and go above their level,” Hernandez said. “We wanted to play our game and execute our game. We wanted them to focus on the mental game and they did a good job of staying calm. We didn’t execute great but that’s from a little rust.
Vanderbilt took the doubles point with two 6-2 victories. Rhys Johnson and Cameron Klinger defeated Alejandro Manzanares and Philippe Courteau in the top-seeded match. In the second slot, Pen Binet and Ryan Smith defeated Rob Mitchell and Daniel Cardenas.
In singles play, third-seeded Baker Newman defeated Courteau 6-0, 6-2. Kris Yee topped Thais Minet 6-3, 6-0. Johnson sealed the match with his 6-3, 6-4 victory over Manzanares.
Heading into their second week of practice, the Bisons won’t be changing anything. Hernandez noted that his team did a lot of things well and just looks for his team to continue to get into better shape.
Despite the result, Hernandez is encouraged by his team’s play and knows these matches are vital for his team’s growth.
“It’s the best thing we can do for the start of the season,” Hernandez said. “It showed us that we’re competitive against them.
“Eventually, you get to a point where you’re winning against them. We’ve just got to keep working.”
Saturday, Jan. 16
Lipscomb vs. Vanderbilt
- Cameron Klinger/Rhys Johnson (VU) def. Alejandro Manzanares/Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-2
- Ryan Smith/Pen Binet (VU) def. Daniel Cardenas/Rob Mitchell (LIP) 6-2
- Baker Newman/Daniel Valent (VU) vs. Thais Minet/John Tougher (LIP) 5-3 (DNF)
- Danny Valeny (VU) vs. Rob Mitchell (LIP) 6-3, 5-3 (DNF)
- Rhys Johnson (VU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-3, 6-4
- Baker Newman (VU) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-0, 6-2
- Cameron Klinger (VU) vs. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-4, 5-3 (DNF)
- Kris Yee (VU) def. Thais Minet (LIP) 6-3, 6-0
- Alex Ross (VU) vs. John Tougher (LIP) NOT STARTED