ATLANTA, Ga. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team fell 7-0 in their first road match of the season on Saturday to Georgia State.
The Bisons have struggled in doubles play so far this season and that was no different as Georgia State swept the doubles matches.
Lipscomb head coach Mario Hernandez wants to see his team improve in doubles, an area they considered a strength last season.
“One of the main things is we’ve got to get better at doubles,” Hernandez said. “The coaches know that, the players know that. We’ve just got to keep working at it.”
While the Panthers were able to sweep singles play as well, Lipscomb kept things competitive throughout.
At the top spot, Rob Mitchell and Jannis Koeke split the first two sets. Koeke would go on to take the third set and the match 6-3, 3-6, 6-4.
The second-seeded match looked like much of the same. Lipscomb’s Alejandro Manzanares took the first set 7-6 before Zackery Kennedy bounced back to take the match 6-7, 6-2, (10-5).
The match at the six spot between Kauai Linardi and Joseph Bishop went much like the one at the two spot. Linardi took a one set lead, but Bishop took the match 6-7, 6-3, (10-5).
While continuously getting to three sets is a testament to their competitiveness, Hernandez knows his guys want more than just getting to a third set.
“Our guys are competitive guys. They’re not satisfied with just getting to three sets,” Hernandez said. “If you’re a competitor, losing those three setters hurts.”
With the record sitting at 0-3, Hernandez isn’t worried about his team.
“We’re early in the season and still consistently working to improve,” Hernandez said. “I would be worried being 0-3 if we were getting blown out, but these are very tight matches. We’ve got to just keep pushing through.”
The Bisons will take another shot at their first win on Sunday as they face Alabama in Tuscaloosa. Play is set to begin at 5 p.m.
Georgia State 7 – Lipscomb 0
- Sebastian Acuna/Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) def. Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-0
- Zachary Kennedy/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Daniel Cardenas/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-3
- Felipe Jaworski/Jannis Koeke (GSU) def. John Tougher/Thais Minet (LIP) 7-5
- Jannis Koeke (GSU) def. Rob Mitchell (LIP) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
- Zachary Kennedy (GSU) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-7, 6-3, 10-4
- Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 7-5, 6-4
- Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-1, 6-4
- Felipe Jaworski (GSU) def. John Tougher (LIP) 6-2, 6-2
- Joseph Bishop (GSU) def. Kauai Linardi (LIP) 6-7, 6-3, 10-6