TUSCALOOSA, Ala. - The Lipscomb men’s tennis team moved to 0-4 on the season with a 7-0 loss to Alabama on Sunday.
The Bisons competed throughout the match again, but were unable to come up with the vital points.
Alabama took the doubles point with wins at the one and two spots, but Lipscomb pulled out a win at the three spot.
John Tougher and Thais Minet defeated Hayes Brewer and Langford Hills 6-4 as the third seeds.
Lipscomb coach Mario Hernandez was pleased with the effort he saw in doubles.
“The guys set the tone in doubles,” Hernandez said. “We know that we’ve got good doubles players. We just weren’t bringing the energy.”
In singles, Rob Mitchell went to three sets for the second straight day in the top spot. Mitchell won the first set in a tiebreak. Alabama’s Grayson Goldin bounced back to take the match 6-7, 7-6, 10-5.
“I think the guys, overall, played pretty well,” Hernandez said. “We didn’t get any wins but we played well.”
Despite the rough start, the Bisons know they’ve made it through the roughest part of the season. Hernandez knows it’s necessary to get these tough matches in.
“The reality is we’re playing tough competition,” Hernandez said. “You’ve been through the crucible with four tough matches off the bat. Those were put there on purpose to push ourselves. We’ve got to take what we’ve learned, apply it and keep getting better.”
The Bisons play their next eight matches at home, starting with Austin Peay on February 12. Hernandez knows his team won’t have any issues bouncing back.
“It’s been a tough start to the schedule, but we have to be a tough team and know that you only get better by playing tough teams,” Hernandez said. “There’s nothing to hang their heads about.”
Alabama 7 – Lipscomb 0
- Korey Lovett/Mazen Osama (UA) def. Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-4
- B. O'Shaughnessey/Matthew Rossouw (UA) def. Daniel Cardenas/Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-4
- John Tougher/Thais Minet (LIP) def. Hayes Brewer/Langford Hills (UA) 6-4
- Grayson Goldin (UA) def. Rob Mitchell (LIP) 6-7 (7-9), 7-6 (7-4), 10-5
- No. 106 Korey Lovett (UA) def. Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) 6-0, 6-2
- Spencer Richey (UA) def. Philippe Courteau (LIP) 6-4, 6-3
- Danny Kerznerman (UA) def. Daniel Cardenas (LIP) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
- Matthew Rossouw (UA) def. John Tougher (LIP) 6-4, 6-1
- Langford Hills (UA) def. Kauai Linardi (LIP) 7-5, 6-4