NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After four tough losses, the Lipscomb men’s tennis team was able to pick up their first win of the season on Friday with a 5-2 victory over Austin Peay.
The Bisons jumped out early to grab the doubles point to start the match, sweeping doubles with 6-4 wins in all three spots. Head coach Mario Hernandez was pleased to see his team get their doubles form back.
“The energy and the aggression was exactly what we wanted,” Hernandez said. “We wanted to dictate play and the guys did that. It helps that we got that doubles point. We got that momentum going.”
The Bisons strong doubles play carried over into singles, as they took the one through four matches, all in straight sets.
“The guys jumped out in singles,” Hernandez said. “Our guys were very professional. They focused on their games and took care of business.”
In the top spot, Rob Mitchell dropped just three games to Aaron Jumonville on his way to a 6-1, 6-2 win.
At the two spot, Alejandro Manzanares continued the Bisons strong play with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Manuel Montenegro.
Philippe Courteau defeated Almantas Ozelis 6-3, 6-3 in the third seeded match.
Daniel Cardenas picked up the final win of the day for Lipscomb from the four spot with his 6-3, 6-3 win over Aleh Drobysh.
For Hernandez, a first win for his Bisons can help them forget about those early loses. Now that the first one is out of the way, he wants his team to look for the next one.
“It feels really good,” Hernandez said. “We’re a good team. We know we’re a good team. We got the win and can put those losses behind us.
“Getting a win is definitely going to help us. The season is really open now. This is only going to make the guys hungry and make them want to go out there and get another win.”
The Bisons hit the court again on Saturday for the “Battle of the Boulevard” with Belmont. The Bisons and the Bruins begin play at Richland Country Club at 6 p.m.
“Belmont is the boulevard rival,” Hernandez said. “We always have closes matches with them.
“Their guys know our guys and our guys know their guys. It’s going to be a fun match and it’s going to be an intense match.”
Lipscomb 5, Austin Peay 2
- Rob Mitchell/Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Aaron Jumonville/James Mitchell (APSU) 6-4
- Alejandro Manzanares/Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Almantas Ozelis/Manuel Montenegro (APSU) 6-4
- John Tougher/Thais Minet (LIP) def. Evan Borowski/Aleh Drobysh (APSU) 6-4
- Rob Mitchell (LIP) def. Aaron Jumonville (APSU) 6-1, 6-2
- Alejandro Manzanares (LIP) def. Manuel Montenegro (APSU) 6-3, 6-4
- Philippe Courteau (LIP) def. Almantas Ozelis (APSU) 6-3, 6-3
- Daniel Cardenas (LIP) def. Aleh Drobysh (APSU) 6-3, 6-3
- James Mitchell (APSU) def. John Tougher (LIP) 8-3
- Alex Kartsonis (APSU) def. Kauai Linardi (LIP) 8-6